Useful tools under $50?


Recommended Posts

What are some things you have around you shop you find yourself always using for $50 or less?

For me it is the 4" Lee Valley Precision Double Square. 12 inch squares are always more clumsy to use on smaller precision type work, or even on the edge of plywood.

I am looking for things I didn't know I needed. :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mat60 said:

Well....  Tools under $50?   :huh:  Is drill bits, a tape, a square, center finder, router bits and shop supplies considered tools?

Of course. Anything you find useful or something odd that others might be interested in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I can think of that fits the criteria and you may not have is a dial caliper that reads down to the .001." I bought a decent quality one for about $45. I had bought it back when I was a farm equipment mechanic, but found it way more useful for woodworking than for mechanicing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On a more serious note, I love this drill. I wanted a lightweight drill/screwdriver and since I'm cheap I bought something inexpensive. I thought that if it got me through my current project then it was worth  it's cheap price. 3 years later I'm still abusing this drill. It's listed as a screwdriver but I've used it as a drill for all sorts of projects including building a new fence. It has done well and I would say worth several times its purchase price. It's worked better than other name brand lightweight drills I've owned. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CCE7H0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2017 at 2:44 PM, Cygnus A said:

What are some things you have around you shop you find yourself always using for $50 or less?

For me it is the 4" Lee Valley Precision Double Square. 12 inch squares are always more clumsy to use on smaller precision type work, or even on the edge of plywood.

I am looking for things I didn't know I needed. :D

Bar clamps, lots of'm, never have enuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2017 at 10:23 PM, Buck Nall said:

Bar clamps, lots of'm, never have enuff.

Gallon of glue & a squeez bottle of Mustard(squeeze the mustard out, wrenst it good, fill it with THAT glue.. Several different grits of SANDPAPER.  Quart er two of Poly, couple brushes to go/use it with.  Good Claw Hammer. I'm goin bak to tha wagon folks these shoes are killin me. GOOD LUCK, Cya

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2017 at 10:41 PM, Buck Nall said:

Gallon of glue & a squeez bottle of Mustard(squeeze the mustard out, wrenst it good, fill it with THAT glue.. Several different grits of SANDPAPER.  Quart er two of Poly, couple brushes to go/use it with.  Good Claw Hammer. I'm goin bak to tha wagon folks these shoes are killin me. GOOD LUCK, Cya

One of those little giz-mos you pass over wood to see if there is any metal hiding in there . HAND CLAMPS, vice grip type plyers w./flat area for  gripping wood.  Ear protection.  BELIEVE i'M DONE now, Cya.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Isaac said:

If you put in the leg work, you can find antique Stanley hand planes, often for under $20. Some require little more than sharpening to be very functional. 

Ive gotten alot of use out of a couple Craftsman planes from the 40's. One was given to me, one I picked up at a pawn shop for $25. All I did was clean them up and sharpen the blade.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, woodbutcher said:

Ive gotten alot of use out of a couple Craftsman planes from the 40's. One was given to me, one I picked up at a pawn shop for $25. All I did was clean them up and sharpen the blade.

I've had similar success. I'm sure it awesome pulling a brand new lie Nielsen out of the box and having it slicer transparent shavings, but if you put in the time even pretty cheap planes can perform.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.