For Sale: Grizzly G0513X2F 17" Bandsaw - St. Louis

Eric.

5 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Your miter station was your outfeed support for that saw.  Will the new saw's table be the same height?  :D  This could domino into a new miter station, which would mean ditching the kapex, which means getting a Bosch glide. 

Yada, yada,  yada.

25 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Your miter station was your outfeed support for that saw.  Will the new saw's table be the same height?  :D  This could domino into a new miter station, which would mean ditching the kapex, which means getting a Bosch glide. 

If I get the Minimax I'll have to lift it about 4".  I'm planning to build a base on some of those leveling casters.  It'll be a PITA but I'm not building another miter station unless my house burns down and I have to rebuild everything.  Same reason I'm stuck with the Kapex (I'm lukewarm about the Glide anyway).

12 minutes ago, mat60 said:

What you selling next?  Maybe the grizzly tablesaw.  ;)

Geez, I hope not.  I'm replacing tools as needed...it's not for entertainment. :)

4 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

The dust art shot made it look like he was playing with a mustard. 

Hawhat? LOL

Yeah I found some sawdust art in my table saw cabinet today.  Check it out...

BXhxkoD.jpg

18 hours ago, Eric. said:

If I get the Minimax I'll have to lift it about 4".  I'm planning to build a base on some of those leveling casters.  It'll be a PITA but I'm not building another miter station unless my house burns down and I have to rebuild everything.  Same reason I'm stuck with the Kapex (I'm lukewarm about the Glide anyway).

I used 8/4 hard maple L-shaped blocks and big eye bolts on my assembly table which allow 4 inches of height adjustment. Don't know if this might work on raising your miter station. 

leveling.thumb.jpg.b8091a915978ad0447b147f72be7eac2.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, estesbubba said:

I used 8/4 hard maple L-shaped blocks and big eye bolts on my assembly table which allow 4 inches of height adjustment. Don't know if this might work on raising your miter station.

No I meant I'll have to raise the bandsaw by about 4".  They make those casters with levelers...I haven't really looked into them yet but I assume that's what I'll use.  The real challenge will be getting the bastard onto the platform without a hoist.

19 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Why don't you have a look at the Italian Lagunas?

I did for sure but the LT16 doesn't seem to be readily available anywhere I looked.  If I could have found it with similar pricing to the MM16 it definitely would have been in the running.  And I don't really have the space/budget for a bigger saw.

Do you know where I can find one?  I see them on the Laguna site (with no pricing) but they always refer you to a dealer where I can't find any in stock.

I've found a MM16 for $3100 shipped, which is a pretty good price, so I'm close to pulling the trigger at this point.

4 minutes ago, Tom King said:

Seems like the Grizzly went pretty fast.

Looks like a good choice for a 16": 

Four days to sell the Grizzly!  Sold it on TWW Guild facebook page.  Had a buyer in an hour.  That's crazy.  I did sell it for pretty cheap but I didn't expect to unload it that quickly.

I watched that video Tom.  I can't find a bad review of the MM16 anywhere...and I mean literally anywhere.  From what I gather it's the pretty clear winner in its class.

14 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I did for sure but the LT16 doesn't seem to be readily available anywhere I looked.  If I could have found it with similar pricing to the MM16 it definitely would have been in the running.  And I don't really have the space/budget for a bigger saw.

Do you know where I can find one?  I see them on the Laguna site (with no pricing) but they always refer you to a dealer where I can't find any in stock.

I've found a MM16 for $3100 shipped, which is a pretty good price, so I'm close to pulling the trigger at this point.

Four days to sell the Grizzly!  Sold it on TWW Guild facebook page.  Had a buyer in an hour.  That's crazy.  I did sell it for pretty cheap but I didn't expect to unload it that quickly.

I watched that video Tom.  I can't find a bad review of the MM16 anywhere...and I mean literally anywhere.  From what I gather it's the pretty clear winner in its class.

I was at my Festool/Laguna/Powematic dealer the other day and he had an Lt16hd in stock on the floor. Come on up and get it. 

2 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I didn't look. He always has an lt16hd in stock though. Why you interested?

Eh...I don't know, I was a few days ago when I was in research mode.  But I'm pretty set on the Minimax now.  Unless I could find an LT16 cheaper than the MM16, probably not.  But thanks anyway.  I know you love yours.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Eh...I don't know, I was a few days ago when I was in research mode.  But I'm pretty set on the Minimax now.  Unless I could find an LT16 cheaper than the MM16, probably not.  But thanks anyway.  I know you love yours.

Ya I have the lt18hd and love it more every time I use it. I'm sure you'll like the minimax. I checked it out before I bought the Laguna. Seemed like a nice machine except for the guides. They were terrible especially compared to the Laguna 

2 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Ya I have the lt18hd and love it more every time I use it. I'm sure you'll like the minimax. I checked it out before I bought the Laguna. Seemed like a nice machine except for the guides. They were terrible especially compared to the Laguna 

Apparently they've been redesigned.  They switched to the Carter's for a few years and now they have a new design.

Does your LT18 have Euro guides or ceramics?

In that Minimax video Tom linked, the guy resawed a wide board with the guides completely removed...that's the kind of saw I need. LOL

21 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I like this train of thought here ... 

Now, let me know when that kapex hits the market ;) 

56 minutes ago, Tom King said:

http://www.lagunabandsaws.com/store/laguna-mband185400-italian-lt18-bandsaw   10% off, and free shippng, so $3100 to  $3600.

Out of curiosity,  I was just comparing the two.   The 18 Laguna is 25 pounds lighter than the MM16.   Difference in table heights too.

Yeah I really don't have the space for that.  Even the Minimax is pushing it for my tiny shop.  There is a very specific place it has to go and a few weird constraints that I have to keep in consideration.  If the saw is too big I won't be able to get my router table out...and I'm not reorganizing my entire shop for a saw upgrade.

The MM16 has the same power and only 2" less resaw capacity as the LT18, so considering the size factor and the extra $500 it's a tough one to justify.

There is a great article in an old FWW issue  " How much can a free bandsaw cost ? " A guy is given a huge old Oliver bandsaw, (36" ?). Has to hire riggers just to move it. Motor needed work, had to get a phase converter, get the table machined flat, cut a raised tray in his garage ceiling, cut a recess in the floor too ! He spent a small fortune but one of those saws restored goes for a medium to large fortune.

Check the diagonal height of what ever saw you choose. If you can't tip the saw upright in your garage that would really suck.

I wonder if he could make reindeer out of a log section ?

• Chet locked this topic