Maloof finish

AndyG

Hi all,

I'm looking at making my own maloof finish to use on my rocker.  He recommends a 2 step process. The first is a mix of 1/3 poly, 1/3 linseed oil and 1/3 tung oil. I'm pretty confident on mixing and applying this, I'll just follow Sams instruction in his book.

But the second part I'm a little confused about. It's the 1/2 linseed oil and 1/2 tung oil mix with a handful of beeswax melted on a double boiler. Sam says that it needs to be the consistency of heavy cream. I plan on adding the beeswax, melting it and checking the consistency, and if need be add more beeswax until I get the desired result. 

I suppse my question is, what is the desired result? How thick is "heavy cream"? Has anyone made the second part up and had good results and have a ratio as to how much wax to put in?  I'd love to see some pics of the consistency so I can see what I'm aiming for.

Also, when I apply it, do I put it on sparingly or am I being quite liberal with the application? Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I do overthink things when in reality it's pretty straight forward. Just thought there may have been some tips that may have helped. I'll mix some up when I'm ready and test it on a few boards. 

I'll post a pic when it's done, but here is where I'm up to now. I still have lots to do, but it's getting there.

IMG_2674.JPG

• Like 1