no-frills scrap bin drilling shelf

Eric.

Let's see

Bench-top drill press -

Hammer Drill -

Impact Driver -

"Drill" -

A Dewalt cordered high-torque drill for going into hefty things

Picked it up b/c it was $3 at a moving sale. And when doing construction it's nice to not chase batteries.

A Ryobi drill with a bubble level on the back when I want to go straight down. (It happens on occasion.)

Had it for a long time. It won't go away. And I've needed that bubble level, if only once or twice.

So ... what I need then is a drill station but underneath the bench-top press.  You guys are inspiring. But I think I'll have to build one to handle the long construction & masonry bits as well.

(And I like that little glue covey on the right. Looks handy.)

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

Its not crossing the shop that keeps us nimble.  Its the dodge and weave between machines and their current positions.  If my planer and sander are out in their "use" positions, the 4 steps between bench and glue-stuff area becomes 10

Maybe the Browns could use someone who might actually dodge and weave his way into the endzone.

• 4 years later...
On 10/25/2017 at 10:59 AM, Eric. said:

There are times when I'd like to have one more set.  I'll probably buy a Festool and the installer's kit eventually because there are some neat toys in there...and I'm kind of running out of things to buy. LOL

But these guys who have like a dozen lined up on the shelf?  Yeah I don't get the point of that at all.

Has anyone seen this mullet on another forum? I think he posted on here last in 2017 and I believe he was cordially asked to leave. He was a helluva woodworker and I would like to touch base with him. 

• Like 2

On 10/27/2017 at 12:01 AM, gee-dub said:

Its not crossing the shop that keeps us nimble.  Its the dodge and weave between machines and their current positions.  If my planer and sander are out in their "use" positions, the 4 steps between bench and glue-stuff area becomes 10.  For your DP area, this'll fix ya.

59f1dc7018fb3_DP-Cab(33).jpg.6b07f76bc610fac9ddc18d50aedf86ab.jpg

Man, that looks awesome, it's exactly what I would like to be able to build but I have no clue.

I take it the drill press and cabinet are both on the moveable stand ?

On 8/19/2022 at 11:47 PM, oldman_woodworker said:

Man, that looks awesome, it's exactly what I would like to be able to build but I have no clue.

I take it the drill press and cabinet are both on the moveable stand ?

In my case this is true.  The original intention was for the cabinet to be on casters and built so that it straddled the drill press base that would be bolted to the floor.  The original idea being that the cabinet could be rolled out of the way for tall operations.  I found that I never do this. 

I got used to being able to move the drill press a small amount now and then to make awkward operations more easy.  This caused me to morph my design so that the drill press and cabinet both set on the mobile base.  I have since changed drill presses but kept the function. 

853468188_Northbound(7).thumb.jpg.ff4d0c6d5e4ce0979526594adfd39626.jpg

I put a piece of plywood in the base, bolted the DP to that.  There is then a frame (of scrap really) within the base that mounts to the ply as well.  The base mounts to the frame.  Not as involved as it sounds; I just had to elevate the base a bit for clearance.

On 8/20/2022 at 11:10 PM, gee-dub said:

In my case this is true.  The original intention was for the cabinet to be on casters and built so that it straddled the drill press base that would be bolted to the floor.  The original idea being that the cabinet could be rolled out of the way for tall operations.  

This is what I have had planned for a long time for the same reasons, never had needed the full travel of the floor standing DP but who knows.....................anyway that cabinet looks awesome, if I can produce something that works and looks half as good I will be happy