Help me decide. Bandsaw or jointer?

woodbutcher

So I am really getting the itch to buy another power tool. I have for months been planning on getting a jointer next. Ive been flattening all my stock with a handplane, which isnt that much fun. But, Ive got some projects ive been wanting to do that pretty much require a bandsaw. I had kind of shifted my plan to getting a bandsaw next, until I went out today and flattened some stock by hand for a project, and remembered why I wanted a jointer so bad in the first place. I really dont want to buy both at the same time, well I would love to i guess, but I like to space big purchases like this out, and I really dont have much space left in my shop. 

So now im pretty torn, and looking for advise from you all. Im really going back and forth with myself on this.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, woodbutcher said:

I have had my mind set on a Powermatic 6 inch with a helical head.

I am planning on getting the same planer but I am skipping the helical head.  If you do a lot with figured wood, then it may be worth the added cost.  I do some but not much so I am going with the straight blades and I am banking the $400 difference between the two toward the next tool that may be needed.  And in your case the $400. would put you well on your way to something like a Laguna 1412 band saw.  I based my decision not just on research but also after a long discussion with a forum member here that has had the 6 inch Powermatic with the regular blades for a long time.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, woodbutcher said:

Wow thanks for the responses guys. Was not expecting unanimous decision. I have had my mind set on a Powermatic 6 inch with a helical head. Would love to go 8 inch but, we will see I guess. Thanks everyone.

Given a choice between a 6" helical head and an 8" straight knife, I'd go 8".

• Like 1

I had my 6" for almost a month before realizing I had made a costly error.  It seemed most things were wider than 6".  I got an 8" and found most things were 8" or less.  For the occasional wide pieces I use a planer sled.  The cost savings of an insert head are well documented.  Mine paid for itself after about 18 months following my previous sharpening/replacing schedule for knives.  I would simply save a little longer and get an 8" with an insert head.  That is how I ended up with the planer sled in the first place; it covered my needs till I had the dough for an 8".

• Like 2

When I have important wood or wood that is too close to final size, I don't even bother with my jointer, I just carefully flatten one side by hand then move to the planer.  Or use a planer sled.

What are the projects you want to do that "require a bandsaw" ? Might just be me, but I'd rather do a little jointing by hand than a little bit of resawing by hand.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

When I have important wood or wood that is too close to final size, I don't even bother with my jointer, I just carefully flatten one side by hand then move to the planer.  Or use a planer sled.

What are the projects you want to do that "require a bandsaw" ? Might just be me, but I'd rather do a little jointing by hand than a little bit of resawing by hand.

Not doing any resawing, just some small projects that have curves that I wouldnt want to cut with a jigsaw. After seeing Lester Burnhams reindeer i wanted to make some of those. I am making some handwheels for a vise im putting together. A bandsaw would be handy for those for sure.

I used a 3' long, 6" Delta, like the first picture in Unknown Craftsman's post, for several years before I bought my 8" Delta at a school auction.   It's actually a decent little jointer.   I'm sticking with straight knives because all the time it would take to change the inserts would try my patience-video coming soon I hope-have found a helper to operate the video camera-by chance, a gorgeous full blooded Native American.

I don't know the last time I ever ran a board through the table saw without going over the jointer first, and don't know why I would want to.

edited to add:   I was getting ready to buy a new Delta 8", which in 1977 sold for $995, when dollars were worth much more than now.  The one at the school auction (still have, and use it) was hotly contested, and I won the auction at $600.  People said I was crazy for paying that much for it, but I was getting ready to spend over $400 more for one just like it.  It was money well spent.

2 hours ago, Cygnus A said:

Jointer. End of discussion. It changes everything. 

Yeah, I apologize for implying that I would choose a jointer without any explanation.  Cygnus has it covered.  If your work involves square stock as a starting point, the jointer is what does that for you quickly.  Even my sculpted parts start out with some sort of a reference edge for joinery.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, woodbutcher said:

After the overwhelming vote for a jointer, thats definitely the direction ill go. Also thinking ill pay the extra $400 for the helical head as well. I think id regret buying a new jointer and not get the HH. Fingers crossed for a good Powermatic sale this Black Friday.

Sounds like a good plan.

For most of us it would be a budget question. If that is the concern ...

If all of your jointing is edge jointing then consider a smaller (that means older but there are nice, clean ones out there) 4" jointer. They go pretty cheap. That would probably leave you money for a bandsaw. Then upgrade the jointer at a later time as needed.

If budget isn't the concern ...

Do you have big stock to cut? Bandsaw. A big one. 14" is a minimum for big stock. Probably 17", though some of the 14" units are pretty hefty.

Otherwise jointer. Because we all like square and flat. Then a drum sander as really, really smooth works even better.