Mark J

DeWalt DW735 planner

Recommended Posts

thats probably a good price for a standard 735, the 735X i believe comes with infeed and outfield tables and an extra set of knives. take the advice of @RichardA and when the original knives wear out get the ones from Infinity Tools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you've probably never heard of them I should mention that Blaine's Farm & Fleet is a reputable chain with multiple big box stores in Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

thats probably a good price for a standard 735, the 735X i believe comes with infeed and outfield tables and an extra set of knives. take the advice of @RichardA and when the original knives wear out get the ones from Infinity Tools.

these? 

https://www.infinitytools.com/dewalt-dw734-and-dw735-planer-knives-3425

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, treeslayer said:

thats probably a good price for a standard 735, the 735X i believe comes with infeed and outfield tables and an extra set of knives. take the advice of @RichardA and when the original knives wear out get the ones from Infinity Tools.

Dave's correct here the model you linked doesn't come with the extras,  in and out feed extensions and extra blades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bushwacked said:

these? 

Yep, those are the ones. @RichardA brought those to my attention a while back, much heavier blades, direct replacement and can be sharpened according to Rick,i haven't had mine sharpened yet, no need to, they outlast the DeWalt ones by far.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Randy

But do they truly last more than twice the factory knives? If not, then there really isn't a savings as I have seen the factory knife sets for $35 (although I haven't looked recently).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Randy said:

But do they truly last more than twice the factory knives? If not, then there really isn't a savings as I have seen the factory knife sets for $35 (although I haven't looked recently).

You can't hone factory blades very well, they are paper thin.That's where DeWalt makes extra money. $50 every few months from several hundred thousand owners of the #735. The Infinity blades can be honed multiple times, I have 4 sets of those knives and the first set are in the planer now, after their 4th honing, and doing just what they were designed to do, plane wood. I don't know when they will not work any more, but when they do die, they will have paid for themselves more than once or twice.  Your choice, factory blades often, or Not. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Chet said:

Dave's correct here the model you linked doesn't come with the extras,  in and out feed extensions and extra blades.

Actually it does the Manufactures model number is DW735X, That's a solid deal. I wish i remembered how much i paid for mine.

Edit: I paid $525 for mine on sale in 2014.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth the item that I saw in the store did not have the extras on display, but the descriptive card said 735x as does the web page.  

20171114_1148501.thumb.jpg.676481853b8858710bab43da877f1e5b.jpg

20171114_1149091.thumb.jpg.ad9a50b1556209f12982d955a5030ebf.jpg

Clearly there is a discrepancy which you would want clarified before ordering.  If this is just the planner it's agood deal.  If it includes the accesories it's a great deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mark J said:

Clearly there is a discrepancy which you would want clarified before ordering.  If this is just the planner it's agood deal.  If it includes the accesories it's a great deal

The accessories are easily walked off with there may be a reason they weren't put out. Though i agree i'd ask i feel like at these places the chances of getting someone that knows is slim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RichardA said:

You can't hone factory blades very well, they are paper thin.That's where DeWalt makes extra money. $50 every few months from several hundred thousand owners of the #735. The Infinity blades can be honed multiple times, I have 4 sets of those knives and the first set are in the planer now, after their 4th honing, and doing just what they were designed to do, plane wood. I don't know when they will not work any more, but when they do die, they will have paid for themselves more than once or twice.  Your choice, factory blades often, or Not. 

Or be stubborn and don’t listen to @RichardA and you’ll have yourself a collection of dull knives in no time. Rockler and Woodcraft put the 735 on sale every once in a while and throw in the in/outs and mobile table, if you have the patience. H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@RichardA, @treeslayer - what are you using to hone the Infinity blades? I originally planned on upgrading my 735 to a Byrd Shelix, but the Infinity knives would also be an improvement over the OEM knives. Do you use a jig and waterstones, or something like the Diamond Knife Hone on the Infinity HSS Knives page?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mark J said:

Clearly there is a discrepancy which you would want clarified before ordering

Yes because the "X" stands for extra stuff.  If I ordered the 735X and didn't get the table extentions I would be happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check this out the stock knifes that come in the 735 can be touched up. I used to do it.

Here a pic of a very simple jig it will not take out deep nicks but if your getting lots of tear out this will work. The angle is 45 and cut on a tablesaw. The plastic diamond is a cheapo from lowes made by smith.

Thought I'd share since I'm on a knife cutting trip right now.:)

image.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Randy
On 11/15/2017 at 6:58 AM, RichardA said:

You can't hone factory blades very well, they are paper thin.That's where DeWalt makes extra money. $50 every few months from several hundred thousand owners of the #735. The Infinity blades can be honed multiple times, I have 4 sets of those knives and the first set are in the planer now, after their 4th honing, and doing just what they were designed to do, plane wood. I don't know when they will not work any more, but when they do die, they will have paid for themselves more than once or twice.  Your choice, factory blades often, or Not. 

I haven't paid $50 for factory knives for years and I've seen them online for $35; at worst $40. What do you hone the Infinity knives with to be sure the angle is maintained?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now