Hi all. I want to build a mobile base for my #dewalt planer. I have a 735dx. It says that is weighs 92lbs. My question is; will 3/4" mdf support the weight of this planer ok? I have a bunch of scrap lying around the shop, so I figured I could use this?!

If you don't want it to sag I would add some support under it or at a minimum double it up so you have 1 1/2" thick top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Bosch miter saw, which is a heavy one, has been standing on 3/4 MDF for years, so far no problems. I contact-cemented a white MDF backing board for protection and also to add more stability. I also edge banded with pine, also for protection. You can kinda see it here:

5a0b4986a5aa0_2017-01-1610_50_22.thumb.jpg.a9549e6dd98f474866afc37714a8b05e.jpg

• Like 1

If the back and sides of the cabinet are under the top, it should support the weight pretty well.  The feet of the planer seem to distribute the weigh to the edges pretty evenly, so I don't think there is pressure in the middle.  

I made mine out of 3/4" ply, which is a bit stronger, doubled up the sides on the corners because the sides had dados cut into them, and had the top on top on the sides and back.  A year on and no sagging.   I think the same design with MDF would work ok.  But if you're still concerned with the weight, dropping a center support, and turning it into a 6 drawer cabinet wouldn't hurt either. 

5a0b77b066350_PlanerStand3.thumb.jpg.f7a20e5ccd4f42410ae23ef123bfcf1a.jpg

• Like 1