Wish I hadn't done that......

SCPDX

I am a "very novice" - but have access to a nice shop, fun wood, and the wife is requesting me and the dog to be out of the house more...... a lot more......

So here is a general question.  What is a mistake or a couple of mistakes you have made in that past that you would offer up as advise NOT to do?  Some thing that in hindsight you scratched your head and said "Boy, I wish I hadn't done that"?

For example - have some 10/4 Maple.  Wanted to make it three pieces for three different projects.  Problem is the band saw capacity is only just over 6".  So how to re-rip 8" material?  After noodling around decided to use the table saw.  Rip both edges.  Then hand saw down the middle.  Wish I hadn't done that.  Really made a mess and now will have to plane/sand down and will end up with thinner stock than I wanted.  (and a little bursitis in the elbow....)  Hindsight?  Probably should have asked the saw mill to rip to two pieces and then taken down to the thinkness I wanted after that.

IMG_5310[1].JPG

IMG_5311[1].JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClassAct said:

Don't try to hold small parts steady while cutting wood freehand on the table saw

Also applies to the drill press - use hold downs/clamps of some type to hold pieces in position....

Interesting question/post.....I would think there will be several 'categories' of answers...

- safety related

- technique/efficiency related

- cost/$$ related

5 hours ago, drzaius said:

And I had a friend that tried to cut a tiny piece on a miter saw. That little chunk flipped around & put a 1/2" cut in my his finger that took 3 days to stop bleeding & probably should have had a couple of stitches. But if you go to urgent care to get stitches, that means acknowledging to your wife & the world that you did something stupid & got hurt. This way, it happened to someone else.

You meant to say "his" wife right? Your "friends" wife.

Right? LOL

The insert on my Laguna bandsaw was bowed so I took it to work and milled it flat. I could not hold the insert in the vise very tight because it is aluminum and it is split. This caused the finish after milling to be somewhat rough due to chatter so I thought, no problem I'll sand it on the belt sander. The insert is only about an 1/8" thick so holding on the edges while sanding was not an option. My plan was to force it against the belt with my fingers on the face and let it slide into the part stop. Unfortunately I did not set the stop close enough to the belt and it shot the insert across the shop into the wall and somehow caught my thumb between the belt and stop. Ground half of my thumbnail off in a matter of milliseconds. 

I tend to repeatedly make the mistake of sanding joinery faces so things that went together great have gaps after I sand.

I really like to stab myself with a chisel, then go "well I won't do that again" then do it ten seconds later because I still didn't move my hand. Bleeding in two spots seems to make me be careful.

I glued in all my dominos on a board then tried to put the other side on only to realize I'd done one domino with the reference on the bottom instead of the top. Glue dripping everywhere. I just set it aside and calmly backed out of the garage and locked it. That day was over for me. 

Put through a 8/4 hickory board in my dewalt 735 planer with it set to take off like.. way too much. Tripped the power. Did it again a few minutes later. 

I tried hard to think of something, and this came up in my memory bank.  This was years ago, and I sold it after this anyway.

Left the horse manure in the spreader too long, it dried out, and when I went to spread it, it broke one of the feeder chains.  It wouldn't have been so bad if it was where the chains return under the box, but it was in the box, under probably a thousand pounds of manure.  I had to shovel it out to be able to fix the chain.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Don't hold a belt sander between you knees and try and sand a bit off the end of a closet rod.

Make sure that you can feed plywood all the way through your saw before you start you cut.

It's easier to stop a mess from happening than cleaning it up after it's happened ( dust, wood scraps, ect.)

Don't try and catch a falling chisel or hand plane with your foot, unless you are really confidant in your monkey feet or steel toe shoes.

You are wise beyond your years!

1 hour ago, I B said:

The main thing I'm still learning to deal with now is building in a hurry. Sometimes I've only got 30 minutes or an hour in the shop and I make stupid mistakes by trying to get too much done

Same problem here. I have so little shop time at my disposal that I'm always rushing to get things done in a quick and dirty way.