Wish I hadn't done that......

SCPDX

Its been nearly 40 years since Montgomery Ward disappeared from my town. Maybe 10 or so since Service Merchandise vanished. Oddly enough, they occupied the same building. It has been empty for a good while now.

Ice, MG was pretty much a Sears clone. SM was a 'catalog' store, they kept one of everything in a small showroom, you made your choice, and gave the catalog # to an employee to retrieve from the warehouse portion of the store.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, woodbutcher said:

Are they pretty sketchy or something? Ive never heard of Montgomery Wards.

They were a low end department store chain.

Montgomery Wards tools were below Sears in terms of quality from what I remember.   The only thing I remember was my first 10 speed bike when I was 14 or so.   I think mom might have also bought some clothes there, I don't recall... most of my wardrobe as a kid came from the french designer Jacque C Penney.

2 hours ago, SirNot said:

I don't know how to process this...  How young are you??  Next you'll say you've never heard of Venture or Service Merchandise!

My guess is someone who has no idea what Montgomery Wards has also probably never heard of S&H Green Stamps??!?

(How does a young kid learn about bras with out the big thick Montgomery Ward catalog.......)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

All of the above references are lost on me. Are they like Coast to Coast, Pemida, or radio Shack?

Probably just before your time.

I take exception to dissing Pine.  If it wasn't for Pine, I don't know what I would have done for a living, or what I would be doing now.

DSC_0030_2959.JPG

• Like 1

The only dumb thing I regret is resawing a timber that wasn't fully squared up. It had a 6-7" dogear on the front end and you read about bandsaw kickback yada yada yada. Yeah, it definitely exists. It wasn't a bad incident but scared the crap out of me. I should have cut the front end off. Anyways, the next time I was in a similar situation cutting birch cookies for a baby shower table center pieces a few months ago, I made sure to make a special support jig for safely cutting the log. Some of the videos of people cutting logs with kickback is disasterious. 

2 hours ago, RichardA said:

Do not go to cut a couple of small pieces without the lights on in the shop, or you could end up with a finger that points around corners.  Don't ask how I know.

Glad you’re recovering better now! That was iffy there for a while. 

I'll flip this one over a bit.

I'm glad I took the time to make a router pattern guide for a one off Key hole I had to cut about 9 months ago, and I'm glad I saved it. Tonight I'm cutting 12 keyholes, 5 on a faux mantle for the girlfriends apartment (out of mahogany :) ),  and 7 other do hickey plaques for my mom.  All I had to do was line up it to my marks and cut.  Saved me insane amount of time making it this time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...