Jewelry box guild build

Cliff

I got my drawer side front dovetails mostly banged out. Ran into one particular board where the spalted maple was so soft that chiseling resulted in it taking quite a bit of the keep area. I'm really not sure how to fix it. 

For the most part they look decent, if anything the one picture here is among the worst ones.

20171222_131337.thumb.jpg.21cd22b2d29f5c76bdb6932bb4403cd6.jpg

Then I cut the drawer backs to size. 

20171222_132937.thumb.jpg.bea4cec6f519954709c6714b43e563ab.jpg

I also cut the drawer sides to final length, I'm skipping out on the hidden drawer. I just don't like it and neither does my wife. Of course since I already cut the upper back panel before coming to this realization it's still going to look like there is a hidden drawer. Oh well!

Then I chose to royally bork the drawer back dovetails but cutting the tails into the backs instead of the sides. I have no idea why. I was so sure that was the right thing to do. I'm torn on whether or not to remake the backs. I haven't cut the pins in the side yet. I know the drawer won't be under a lot of stress and I can reinforce the joints with small dowels to make sure they hold together. Since they are in the back, it almost seems stupid to remake them. 

20171222_145725.thumb.jpg.6691895f364671815b9779109aeb54eb.jpg

• Like 2

Marked up my pieces for routing. I definitely see now that making new back pieces would have been way easier in terms of my grooves, but it is what it is at this point. 

20171226_112538.thumb.jpg.3c9f35d2139db42b6e95e5fbef06dce1.jpg

Routed

20171226_115842.thumb.jpg.8d53b6a8f805143fe4b1acdfb68b9203.jpg

Cut my bottoms and dry fit. I have two drawers dry fitted, still need to do the chisel work and such on the other 3 to get them together. And you can see I'm going to have to notch out the rear dovetail due to my screwup, so that the drawer can go on the rails.

20171226_150404.thumb.jpg.5fc17a996b2fa902c51b2501c568f272.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cliff said:

I also noticed that my bottom of the jewelry box had warped. Here is an example of it sitting on a flat surface:

Are you stickering all of your parts between work sessions?  Every time you you mill things they can change on you especially with big weather changes.

Looking good though Cliff.  Keep up the good work.

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

Man your work surface looks like mine when I'm in the middle of something, tools, sanding discs, clamps, project components everywhere! :) 

Oh man. That assembly table is 3' x 6' and I have a work surface of about 16  x 24 inches because it's so cluttered. I have to do better!

21 minutes ago, Chet said:

Are you stickering all of your parts between work sessions?  Every time you you mill things they can change on you especially with big weather changes.

Looking good though Cliff.  Keep up the good work.

I was not. I'm going to have to start. I don't think it's a coincidence that it cupped on the part sitting against the bench with less air. I've had small movements but never anything like this. It's going to be difficult for me to remember to do this. 

• Like 1

Since it will have feet it will be fairly easy to just knock down the offending corners with a hand plane before you install the feet . You need to be really careful with all the parts of your project like Chet mentioned. It's easy to fix these issues on a tiny project but gets more difficult when you end up getting cupping in a big table top because you didn't take the proper precautions. I sticker every part untill the pieces are glued together or screwed down (if it's a top)

It's looking good, Cliff. Keep the updates coming. 

Ps. Please clean your work bench. Or at least fake it for the photos LOL

2 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Ps. Please clean your work bench. Or at least fake it for the photos LOL

I am glad that a couple of other people mentioned this Cliff, but now that it is out there,  you bench clutter makes my eyes water. :lol:

• Like 1