Jewelry box guild build

Cliff

10 hours ago, Chet said:

I am glad that a couple of other people mentioned this Cliff, but now that it is out there,  you bench clutter makes my eyes water. :lol:

10 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Since it will have feet it will be fairly easy to just knock down the offending corners with a hand plane before you install the feet . You need to be really careful with all the parts of your project like Chet mentioned. It's easy to fix these issues on a tiny project but gets more difficult when you end up getting cupping in a big table top because you didn't take the proper precautions. I sticker every part untill the pieces are glued together or screwed down (if it's a top)

It's looking good, Cliff. Keep the updates coming. 

Ps. Please clean your work bench. Or at least fake it for the photos LOL

You guys should see the desk I'm sitting at right now. I'm just not an organized person. The shop it's more of a situation where I got multiple projects, and I'm using so many tools at once. But here in the house I've really just proven I can't maintain cleanliness. Drives my wife crazy to see my office like this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Those OCD types stick together don't they !

It's like when I see someone eating steak anything past medium rare. I take a hard stance that they are completely wrong and must immediately conform to my ways. Those super organized clean people are the same way!

Sorry for the derail. My bench gets cluttered, but in my defense, it is only 2'x4' and also serves as my assembly table, writing station, everything.

I do clean it up, but boy is it hard to keep clean during a project! Got a bunch of cubscouts coming to bandsaw pinewood derby cars next week though, so I need to do a major cleaning.

This is the first winter I've actually been able to use the shop. Previous 2 years, I've come back from my winter vacation and spent 1-2 months upgrading the shop and increasing storage capacity and organization. Even though I tend to thrive in chaos, it's easy for it to become dangerous when it gets out of hand in the shop. An easy example is reaching for something buried by a couple of squares, a coping saw and some chisels and end up stabbing myself.

So after the jewelry boxes and some sweater boxes that I've started and yet to finish, I'm going to try and find some more solutions for ways to organize tools a bit better. I'm thinking of a hand tool cabinet that will sit on the wall above the jointer right where the assembly table/bench is. That way I can put away a plane as I finish with it instead of having 3 on my bench, plus 4-5 chisels. Also going to build something stupid simple to hold the push pads for the jointer, because right now they tend to go on the bench. Then turn my router table stand into a router table cabinet so I got places for all that stuff as well. 

So for those with bleeding eyes, I can promise better in the future, but I'll always be somewhat cluttered and messy because that is my personality. Maybe it's because I'm ultra efficient and organized in my coding that I have to let chaos rule my life outside of work :) 

• Like 1

So, ran into a huuuuuuge problem. Skip to the end to offer suggestions, because I'm really going to need them. 

I finally used my router plane, I bought this thing about 2 years ago and just never needed it. Came in handy here to make sure my grooves were the same depth all the way. 

1.thumb.jpg.ca95d1cdfd129d4c6ee54c79249083fe.jpg

I put my runners in and tested everything. I'll admit, it's far from perfect. I really find the process to get these grooves located to be incredibly error prone. There just has to be a better way to do it. If any of you have seen the video perhaps you will agree. But to me, "eyeballing" and "must be perfect" do not go in the same paragraph. For someone with my skillset, this was very difficult and didn't come out the best. I don't blame Marc on this but it was a problem for me. What made it worse is that my grooves on my drawers were slightly oversized. The plus side is that there was no tweaking of the runners because they all fit a little bit lose, but the downside is that the looseness of those runners and the ever so slight off placement from dead center left me with perfect gaps in some areas and no gap at all in others. 

2.thumb.jpg.103eaa3f75fea2ed8618cd29b77a4f40.jpg

So I glued my runners in. Used nearly every one of these little clamps I had. Something else I haven't used since I bought them. 

3.thumb.jpg.be1408ea2fb2f8e0b831205abfbc0e1b.jpg

Then we come to the sad part of the day. I noticed that things looked weird, as if my case side was out of square. So I put a square on the inside, and it's pretty good. There were gaps but it was divets where I may have sanded too much. Barely noticeable. Then I put the square on the outside and it's easily 1/16th to 1/8th out of square towards the top. I checked the thickness of the side all the way up and it was perfectly 3/8. Then I realized the one crappy part that could cause that issue. So I pulled the sides off and put the square on the base. I got this:

4.thumb.jpg.a2d084533a14e40c1b5819a94451a724.jpg

Yesterday, the bottom of this piece was bowed length-wise. Today, the top of the piece is cupped from front to back. I have absolutely no idea how to fix this. If I joint the top of the base, my sliding dovetails will be off. I'd have to recut them, and I'm pretty sure it would leave them loose at the top so they would have trouble staying square. I could remake the entire piece, but I have to be 100% dead perfect with the sliding dovetails and the dado for the back or I can basically toss every other piece out. This kind of accuracy is not something I feel like I can count on. And finally, I really can't leave them because the side doors will show this same gap unless I try to curve the bottom of the side door to match. That sounds ridiculous. 

Hope someone has suggestions on this. I think I'm going to take tomorrow off from the shop because I'm so annoyed. Plus it's going to be -17 (-26 with the wind) and I think the heater won't be able to keep it very comfortable since I never sealed all the gaps in the garage!

• 2 months later...

I’ve already shared this with Cliff as I just started this build. In one of his first pics, he went past the line on the dt’s on the base. Remembering this, there’s no way in hell that I’ll do that. 1st dt, yep, just like his. Checked and double checked and darned if I didn’t do the same on the second one. Then I realized that I had relaxed the downward pressure on the board at the router table as the router was winding down and the bit’s rotation pulled it forward. At this point, I was about to throw in the towel but Cliff convinced me otherwise. Thanks bud, I appreciate ya! 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2017 at 7:59 PM, shaneymack said:

Ps. Please clean your work bench. Or at least fake it for the photos LOL

Haha. @Cliff, don't let the great white northener get you down. My bench is a wreck with parts from multiple projects simultaneously going, loose tools, and coffee cups. I know where everything is and I clean, I lose stuff. 

Keep on with your bad self. Issues aside, the box will come out great.

You got this Coop. Worst that happens is you waste $100 in wood, then go buy more then do it again and again until you are destitute and have exhausted all possible money sources and possibly bankrupted your entire family and everyone has abandoned you. I mean.. absolute worst. 

Meanwhile, I'm hoping to get back on this soon. I gotta build some dog things, and I might have to build some things for a local business which will delay me. Oh and I'm hoping to build a new garage floor before getting back to it. 

• Like 1