Iron on Oak Veneer peeling

kev2504

First time posting on this forum.

My brother and I made some kitchen cabinets for a friend 16 years ago. The problem he is having is the iron-on oak veneer is peeling off in some areas. I told him to try using an iron to re stick it, and he told me it didn't work. I will be going over to his house to verify that, but had a question.

If I need to glue this back down, what would be the best adhesive to use. I don't think, but not sure if I can use contact cement.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Kevin

If it is wood veneer attached to wood substrate, regular PVA wood glue is a good way to go, however, you won't get as much of a bond if you are gluing only to other, old and cured glue. Ideally you want to remove at least some of that old glue first. If the entire strip of veneer can be removed, then try scraping, planing, sanding the glue off. Do your best to protect the edge though, and then re-glue it. Once you've got that strip off, it may be easier to just replace it than attempt to remove the glue from the veneer strip itself, unless you think you can't get a good match. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your help. The regular woodworking glue I have is Titebond.

I will check it out with my iron to see if it will re-set. If not, I think I will use the hot melt glue gun. I don't want to have to peel it off and try to match the color, since it has been installed for 16 years. Even though the owner has some of the same color stain, I would think it has faded quite a bit.

Come to find out it was not the edge banding that was coming off. It is the oak veneer on the cabinet ends that is coming off. The contact cement is letting go. You can almost peel the hole side off. I think I will get some spray on contact cement and re-attach them as best I can. I think I will use the hot glue for some of the edges that are coming apart.