Shop stool

Cliff

I have two shop stools. I don't really like either one. One is a crappy one from walmart that I bought my first week woodworking. very tall, no real padding, no wheels. The second is a harbor freight one that is adjustable but even at max height is pretty short, has wheels (one of which broke) and the padding is slightly better but still not great. For instance I just spent 2 hours cleaning up dovetails and my rear end hurt pretty bad. So did my back. I'm not looking to make one, and I definitely want padding, adjustability, wheels maybe even a back.

Who has a favorite?

My favorite shop stool is the base to a leather executive chair. 5 wheel caster base, pneumatic cylinder adjustable height and some incredible foam to cradle my  buttocks . The backstory on the chair is funny. A Falcons player got upset in the conference room and sent a $1500 chair flying across the room. The back ripped out all the screws that attached it to the base. The manufacturer replaced the chair and after it sat for years in the warehouse I snagged it. You can flop down on it and the pneumatics soak up all of the impact. So repurposing a damaged expensive chair is worth keeping your eye out for . 

• Like 1

After a lot of shopping around this is the one I have.   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F803OHC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1

Some of the things I like about it is - hardly any plastic, nice metal finish,  Adjustable height,  handles 300 pounds of person so if I plop myself down on it it doesn't collapse and blow out the hydraulics,  and the casters are above average, I have never had a problem rolling around the shop while sitting on it even with shavings and such on the floor and it has been grand kid tested so it has passed the durablity and abuse test.

I think you would be pretty happy with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johneone said:

Checkout Costco. They have a shop stool that has padding and is height adjustable, also it's pretty cheap

Nice! I'm only there every two weeks for something or another.

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

Also I just got the flyer and Rockler has an adjustable height padded stool on sale.

I'll check it out thank you!

3 hours ago, Chet said:

After a lot of shopping around this is the one I have.   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F803OHC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1

Some of the things I like about it is - hardly any plastic, nice metal finish,  Adjustable height,  handles 300 pounds of person so if I plop myself down on it it doesn't collapse and blow out the hydraulics,  and the casters are above average, I have never had a problem rolling around the shop while sitting on it even with shavings and such on the floor and it has been grand kid tested so it has passed the durablity and abuse test.

I think you would be pretty happy with it.

I'll have to measure if 26 is enough. Probably is. I'm over 300, but realistically, there probably are no shop stools for above that anyway. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll put it on my list to check out.

8 hours ago, SplinteredDave said:

I looked at a bunch of stools and ended up with this one.  I like it but sometimes wish I could lock the wheels.  It's comfortable for long sessions at my CNC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I3ZRQM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like that a lot!

8 hours ago, Immortan D said:

I have the Craftsman one and I like it. It's like this one but green color:

prod_1662822412.thumb.jpg.29d39cbdf1e2b23f4166193761bd8ecd.jpg

This is pretty close to what I had in my head, except with casters. On the other hand, my garage floor is so bad that casters break, so maybe that is better. 

8 hours ago, Immortan D said:

I have the Craftsman one and I like it. It's like this one but green color:

prod_1662822412.thumb.jpg.29d39cbdf1e2b23f4166193761bd8ecd.jpg

I’ve had this one for a few years  and love it. Sitting in it now. In lieu of rolling around, I get up and walk and I find using a ts, planer, bs, jointer, etc., is easier to use standing up. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I’ve had this one for a few years  and love it. Sitting in it now. In lieu of rolling around, I get up and walk and I find using a ts, planer, bs, jointer, etc., is easier to use standing up. 

I tend to only sit for chiseling or sanding. Unless I know I'm going to be at the planer or jointer for a very long time and it's small pieces. I do roll back and forth along the bench though.