litesaber5

Newbie Looking for Used Table Saw

Recommended Posts

If you continue having difficulty posting pictures it may be the size limitation.  

This thread might help:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mark J said:

If you continue having difficulty posting pictures it may be the size limitation.  

This thread might help:

Lets see if this works. These are his pics. The last one is mine in my garage. 

We had to break the bastard down. The wings, the guide bars, the motor cover unscrew everything. 

He kept it basically in pristine condition. the only wood residue was under the wings in the metal bars that hold the wings to the main table. I ran some boards through and it was like a hot knife through butter. Start up sounded just like a jet engine, sweet!

 He was only getting rid of it because the new house he moved into had a whole set up in the basement with a table saw attached to an extension table etc. Ill post more pics over the weekend as I put it back together.

He said he started getting emails with offers over a hundred dollars more then what he was asking for on CL. But honored our agreement. Classy guy.

 

 

IMG_3863.JPG

IMG_3865.JPG

IMG_3864.JPG

IMG_3866.JPG

IMG_3868.JPG

IMG_3867.JPG

phpeMIc22AM.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See those holes in the fence? You can add wood or acrylic to it so that you have something that won't ruin your blade -- like hitting hard steel -- should it get close.

Or wood. You could do wood sides.

I picked up at Woodcraft a universal insert for using a dado blade. It's also usable as your zero-clearance insert, so you might get two. I think about $25 each, but don't recall for certain. Also, these (a) don't come with screws and (b) don't come drilled for screws.  I just move mine back and forth, though a few cents at HD for extra screws might not be a bad ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, collinb said:

See those holes in the fence? You can add wood or acrylic to it so that you have something that won't ruin your blade -- like hitting hard steel -- should it get close.

Or wood. You could do wood sides.

I picked up at Woodcraft a universal insert for using a dado blade. It's also usable as your zero-clearance insert, so you might get two. I think about $25 each, but don't recall for certain. Also, these (a) don't come with screws and (b) don't come drilled for screws.  I just move mine back and forth, though a few cents at HD for extra screws might not be a bad ideal.

Yeah. I have lots of little things that need to get done and need to be bought! Keep the advice coming. The guy I bought it from had a piece of wood clamped onto his fence on his basement table. I need to build a work table first...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First thing's first- get a zero clearance insert for that bad boy.  There is a Rockler in Schaumburg that has these in stock: http://www.rockler.com/phenolic-table-saw-insert-kit Two inserts for the price of one.  

I don't see a riving knife...  I looked up the model and saw that it only has a high profile one that includes the blade cover (Same as my old craftsman)- can't make non-through cuts with it in place.  You could look at this as a solution- http://www.rockler.com/micro-jig-splitter-steelpro-system-1-8-kerf

Of all of the upgrades I've made to my POS, these are the two that I appreciate most, especially after having my first kickback incident.  Kickback is no joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SirNot said:

First thing's first- get a zero clearance insert for that bad boy.  There is a Rockler in Schaumburg that has these in stock: http://www.rockler.com/phenolic-table-saw-insert-kit Two inserts for the price of one.  

I don't see a riving knife...  I looked up the model and saw that it only has a high profile one that includes the blade cover (Same as my old craftsman)- can't make non-through cuts with it in place.  You could look at this as a solution- http://www.rockler.com/micro-jig-splitter-steelpro-system-1-8-kerf

Of all of the upgrades I've made to my POS, these are the two that I appreciate most, especially after having my first kickback incident.  Kickback is no joke.

Ill look into this, regarding the riving knife, couldn't i just buy one on amazon or ebay? Does splitter have any benefits over a knife?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, litesaber5 said:

Ill look into this, regarding the riving knife, couldn't i just buy one on amazon or ebay? Does splitter have any benefits over a knife?

Ideally, you'd have a riving knife that is low profile and rides up and down as you raise and lower your blade and is flush with the top of your blade.  Our saws don't support that, unfortunately.  Both of our saws have "knives" that hold anti-kickback pawls a blade covers and sit well above our blades, which means you can't use them when making cuts that don't go all the way through the material (dados, tennons, rabbets, etc).  And while the splitters aren't useful when making non-through cuts that are less than about an inch, they can be easily removed when not needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, litesaber5 said:

Ill look into this, regarding the riving knife, couldn't i just buy one on amazon or ebay? Does splitter have any benefits over a knife?

Insert option

https://amazon.com/Steel-City-Cabinet-Saws-Clearance/dp/B00HLK8GY4/ref=sr_1_1

Same saw, different cabinet (helps for finding parts)

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-1-3-4-hp-premium-hybrid-10inch/p-00922116000P

This is the proper riving knife.

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/31096.00/0009/351.html

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now