New-to-me Toyol

collinb

Had a time merging toy & tool. Works for me.

A Craigslist $90 Woodriver #62. All sharpened. From a kind retired gentleman who has been upgrading to LN. Couldn't argue with the price.

Tempted to part with my #6 sized Sargent with this around. But maybe not.

IMG_20171209_124830494.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/11/2017 at 9:55 AM, Gilgaron said:

I've got a low angle jack and still use my number 6, so you have no excuse not to hoard!  How often do you use the 112 there?  They've always seemed interesting but I already have a modern and vintage cabinet scraper so not really sure that it'd be useful for me. 

I've had it since last Summer and used it but one time so far. I paid a little extra for it because the owner had put in the hefty Hock blade to cut the chatter that is apparently typical with the standard Stanley blade. That one ain't goin' nowhere.

Two planes didn't make it into the picture. My Stanley 71 router plane and a little squirrel tail. I've never used the squirrel tail yet, but it's there just in case.

I've got an old #12  Stanley scraper plane.  You can sneak up on taking very minuscule cuts and adjust to the optimal angle , very useful on veneered panels.  I think the ones in a plane shaped body would be much easier to control.  

But my planes mostly sit on the shelf collecting dust. Veritas block plane lives in a drawer right next to my bench.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I've got an old #12  Stanley scraper plane.  You can sneak up on taking very minuscule cuts and adjust to the optimal angle , very useful on veneered panels.  I think the ones in a plane shaped body would be much easier to control.  

But my planes mostly sit on the shelf collecting dust. Veritas block plane lives in a drawer right next to my bench.

My go to most as well. 

I always find the different usage to be interesting. My favorite plane is a low angle smoother, followed closely by an old Stanley #6. I find it to be the perfect size for milling, but I also joint by hand. I only use my #7 when I have to. My block plane actually gets far less use than the bench planes.

On 12/13/2017 at 2:57 PM, wdwerker said:

I think the ones in a plane shaped body would be much easier to control.  

To the first point, I wouldn't be surprised.

To the second, I also only use them periodically.  The 112 with my replacement table leaf from the Fall. It did a really nice job smoothing the top.  I've gotten out the Record 060 1/2 to ease a couple of corners, but that's mostly it this past 6 months.

There's more work for them in the Spring when I open one up and go at a piece of scrap to make kindling for a campfire. That's probably my favorite (ab)use of a plane. :-)