new visitor to the barn tonight

Tom King

7 hours ago, K Cooper said:

That’s cool! We have some here, believe it or not. To me, they sound like a horse whining. If spellcheck did that right? I’m thinking whinnying? 

Horses whinny.  Unless they're complaining...then it's whining.  :lol:

One of the eeriest moments in my life was having a great horned overtake me at night from behind and brush my ear as he overflew my shoulder. I think it was using my loud snow crunching to mask its dive into a bank some yards ahead. I never heard it in flight or saw it until I felt it. 

• Like 2

I like the idea of a box, but it's not like I don't have anything to do.  They have 300 acres of woods, and we've heard them a lot over the years.

This says they like the edge of a forest, and they have plenty to chose from here along the pastures, and roads.  I did find plans, but the to-do list is already too long.

https://www.wildlifecenter.org/sites/default/files/PDFs/Nestbox/Eastern Screech-owl Nest Box Plans.pd

He's old, but not that slow yet.  He's a big boy, and has always been a great hunter.  He showed up sleeping on one of our farm dogs (strays just show up, and stay), years ago.  We could never get anywhere close to him.  In fact, we thought he was a she for a long time.   Finally, Pam tricked him into a crate, and she carried "her" to the vet to get spayed.  The Vet called, and said they didn't spay her, but neutered him.  He slept on that dog for several years.  This picture is probably 12 or 14 years old.  He would have to open the screen door to come in, and still does.

breeze_s_cat.jpg

We have all sorts of hawks, and even a Bald Eagle nest in our woods.  The numbers of Ospreys seems to go up every year.  We see the Eagles more often than the hawks. 

When the young Eagles are first learning to hunt, they start by diving on ducks, but I've never seen one catch a duck.  They find out real fast why they are called a duck.  The young Eagles have no white on them.  It's amazing how long they will keep trying to get a duck.

I've seen a number of Great Horned Owls, but only ever seen one Barred Owl, and this was the fist encounter with a Screech Owl.

• Like 1

Thanks for the ID's.  Will forward to a friend who is a state wildlife officer for a positive ID.  I have been fishing near here and seen osprey diving on fish, probably the one I should have caught.  I have seen eagles flying over the trout section of the Hiwassee River near Reliance, TN.  There is a nesting platform on the Hiwassee River on Hwy 60 on the way to Dayton, TN.  If you pull over on the wide shoulder on the bridge, you can see it on the downstream side of the bridge.  I have seen bald eagles on the nest in times past.  Just thought- I recall a remote camera on an eagle's nests somewhere.

• Like 1