Robert Morse

I'm building a shop!

Are you using offset snips-the kind where the handles stay above the surface?   Wiss snips require some fine tuning to cut nicely.  On a recent large, complicated job, I discovered Milwaukee snips, and will keep using those. 

If you really want to take the easy way out, get an Irwin metal cutting blade, and a cheap circular saw.  I use that with some sheets of pink styro board ripped to fit in between the ribs when the sheet is upside down.   The styro goes on top of a sheet of plywood, that's on top of 2x4's on sawhorses.  You need ear plugs under muffs though.

https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-Metal-Cutting-Circular-Blade-4935560/dp/B0030XMFHK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531506638&sr=8-3&keywords=irwin+metal+cutting+blade

I put 24 gauge standing seam hip roofs on two small porches, on an old house I worked on.   The pitch was so low, I wanted to give the roof planes every chance to stay straight, so used the thick stuff.  There was no way I was going to cut that with hand tools.  You can't even see the top of the porch roofs from the street.  All the cutting was with that circular saw blade.  It's surprising how fast, and clean it cuts.

DSC_0006.JPG

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

Are you using offset snips-the kind where the handles stay above the surface?   Wiss snips require some fine tuning to cut nicely.  On a recent large, complicated job, I discovered Milwaukee snips, and will keep using those. 

If you really want to take the easy way out, get an Irwin metal cutting blade, and a cheap circular saw. 

I picked up a pair of the offset Milwaukee snips - they're pretty nice, but were still getting stuck in the middle on long rips.  If I ever do it again, I'll pick up the metal blade for the circ saw, but I've only got a few rips left... I should be able to make due at this point.  Thanks again for the tips. 

Good luck.   I know you'll be glad to be finished.

Try having your helper gently lift the near side piece (or whichever side is the part above the jaws as the cut is being made) as you are cutting it.  Is the weight of that piece causing the sticking?  There should be no weight of material down on the snips. If so, that might take care of it.  We do so much stuff without thinking about it, that I forget all the details.