Misc screw can

treesner

I use one of these for my screws and other small parts. It's mounted on a wall above my workbench, not in the best place but my "workshop" is tiny. 

I heard a story about an artist who makes his beginning volunteers sort screws and nuts. If they survive that he moves them onto better projects. I'll see if I can find the story and post it here.

EDIT: The artist is Tom Sachs and I couldn't find the article so it must have been a podcast. I think this is it.  

I have three toolboxes organized with screws.  Machine Screws,  2"&shorter  Screws, Screws (large wood screws),   two wall boxes with plastic drawers for stainless rivets, and other small sailboat parts, and an old hardware store organizer for bolts and nuts.    With all that, the Ace Hardware is 5 minutes away.  Their 30 foot long, well organized aisleway is way beyond anything I even want to start to attempt.

We have another, even better, although less well organized hardware store 15 minutes in the other direction from Ace.  They cater to farmers and loggers, as well as everyone else.  I sheared 4 - 1"-14x4-1/2" Grade 8 bolts that my 8' grading blade mounts to the tilt mechanism with (snagged a big rock with a 115hp Tractor-didn't even bend the point of the blade, so it was a good design).  Thinking that job would be halted for several days waiting to find those bolts, I called Gaston Hardware.  They had them in stock, and knew where they were, so we were only down for about an hour.

On 12/16/2017 at 9:27 AM, Mark J said:

I keep a bucket for metal recycling in the shop.  Lately I've been eyeing that bucket and my screw (screwed up?) hoard and maybe it's time for the two to become one.  After all I have some scews I know I've been lookin' at for 30 years.

I got motivated by this thread and spent an hour last night going through the drawers and dumping screws.  Managed to pursuade myself to recycle about half the cache.  Starting with anything with a slotted head.

15 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I got motivated by this thread and spent an hour last night going through the drawers and dumping screws.  Managed to pursuade myself to recycle about half the cache.  Starting with anything with a slotted head.

If you have any uncoated, plain steel slotted head screws, send them to me, and I'll pay the postage.  Working on old houses, I often need a few, but they are getting harder, and harder to find.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2017 at 11:21 PM, wdwerker said:

If anyone has a solution to this I am all ears.

Yeah, what he said

1 hour ago, MattF said:

I keep screws, nuts and bolts in a few large Stanley organizers. For random misc screws, I just toss them. I have an Ace Hardware 3 blocks from the house, and can walk there and back faster than I can dig through a can looking for the perfect screw. 

Ah come on ... that's cheating :P