Styrofoam and cardboard

Mark J

Curriois if anyone has some useful tips of disposing of those huge pices of Styrofoam and giant cardboard boxes that the big stuff comes in?

I am currently un-packing  a big dust collector.  I have much Styrofoam including two pieces each the size of my whole week garbage can and a cardboard box to match.

A long, long time ago when I had a real job, we would get boxes with all the "packing peanuts" in them.

We would get a 5 gallon bucket, put about 1-1/2 gallons of lacquer thinner in it and then add about 140 bushels of peanuts. It was just fun watching them disappear!

You may have to cut your larger pieces up into smaller chunks and plan on throwing the bucket into the dumpster. LOL

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

find a buisness that doens't have their trash cans locked. Toss it in and drive away like you stole something. :ph34r:

So you’re the one?;)

And then they’res the dumpster divers (no insinuation meant). 

Last Monday we get to work and find someone had cut the chain holding the lid down, and taken about 50 or so depressurized dry chem fire extinguishers and taken the aluminum valves out and dumped the chemical on the ground to salvage the metal. That had to have been one rough ass night for $30 or so worth of metal. 

Technically we're supposed to place our recycling inside the bin, but that means a lot of breaking down for these huge pieces.  I have gotten away with placing it next to the bin, though.

I have used the band saw to cut up cardboard before.  It sounds like a Star Wars sound track.

Maybe for the big blocks of Styrofoam I should get a Sawzall.  It could be for Christmas.  Oh wait, that's right I already ordered all that other stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Technically we're supposed to place our recycling inside the bin, but that means a lot of breaking down for these huge pieces.  I have gotten away with placing it next to the bin, though.

I have used the band saw to cut up cardboard before.  It sounds like a Star Wars sound track.

Maybe for the big blocks of Styrofoam I should get a Sawzall.  It could be for Christmas.  Oh wait, that's right I already ordered all that other stuff.

I do like that a lot of places are going away from Styrofoam packing materials and moving towards cardboard shaped in different manners. I don't know which is more environmentally friendly to the earth but the card board is a heck of a lot more environmentally friendly to my living space. The mess that white Styrofoam makes drives me crazy.

• Like 1

I try to recycle by myself most of the time. You can get a very strong material out of Styrofoam which can be polished to high gloss.
Get a small bowl, and pour some acetone into it.
The acetone will dissolve the Styrofoam, releasing the air embed inside.
This way, large Styrofoam packaging can dissolve into a small "ball" of polystyrene.
You can roughly make anything out of this "ball" : shaping it, wrapping it around tools to make scabbards or handles,
you can pour it into a mold, make some boards or blocks you can machine later.
I made furniture feet out of melded Styrofoam just by pouring it into small containers.

I made quick storage furniture out of cardboard in the early 2000's years.
Surprisingly it was very strong and really last.
So I designed quality cardboard furniture for house or theater purpose.
Here's some samples :
Thrown01.jpg

ClubbinStreet01.jpg

UpTown01.jpg

DownTown04.jpg

Since, I always keep some cardboard sheets in the shop.
You can fill torsion boxes with cardboard for extra strength or sound insulation purpose.
Cardboard can make a good core material for composites too.
It cost nothing and is really useful.

All valuable materials in my opinion.