A new Side Table


Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

I'm kind of liking those walnut "socks" on those legs Isaac, i've thought about doing something similar before but never did, i wonder if there is a different approach for the same look, i'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

Another way would be to make the bottom piece totally separate, and attach with perhaps a large dowel. The way I did it was from Garrett Hack, but he probably has a doze different ways to do it. 

One benefit with this approach that I can think of, is you could really get creative and do some saw tooth or similar patterns at that joint, that would be very difficult to achieve if it were a completely separate piece of wood. Maybe I will try that next time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, treeslayer said:

I'm kind of liking those walnut "socks" on those legs Isaac, i've thought about doing something similar before but never did, i wonder if there is a different approach for the same look, i'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

Dave, I got an e-thingy from FWW and watched a video that's up til Jan 6 about building an elegant side table , by Garret Hack.  It's exactly something you'd love, it's like the above, but uniquely different. The drawer will send your socks to the laundry.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Dave, I got an e-thingy from FWW and watched a video that's up til Jan 6 about building an elegant side table , by Garret Hack.  It's exactly something you'd love, it's like the above, but uniquely different. The drawer will send your socks to the laundry.

Yup, I saw the same, very cool. I haven't decided yet if I have the nerve to attempt that drawer. Similarly, I went for straight socks instead of the beveled, figured I would walk before running. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RichardA said:

Dave, I got an e-thingy from FWW and watched a video that's up til Jan 6 about building an elegant side table , by Garret Hack

Thanks Rick, I'll take a look. woodworkers," we don't do things because they are easy, we do them because they are hard"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Very nice! The wood colors have a good feel. I like the walnut feet. I think I would add to the bottom of the feet a small piece of high tech plastic. The table will likely last a long time. Someone will slide the table, not lift it. It could chip out walnut on the bottom. But if you lift it a fraction sliding will never be a problem...I have used this stuff that comes in sheets of various thicknesses called starboard. Used in marine a lot. Counter sink a stainless screw to hold it. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, curlyoak said:

Very nice! The wood colors have a good feel. I like the walnut feet. I think I would add to the bottom of the feet a small piece of high tech plastic. The table will likely last a long time. Someone will slide the table, not lift it. It could chip out walnut on the bottom. But if you lift it a fraction sliding will never be a problem...I have used this stuff that comes in sheets of various thicknesses called starboard. Used in marine a lot. Counter sink a stainless screw to hold it. 

 

That is a good idea and something I was thinking about as well. Typically, I cut little square of self adhering felt for the table legs, which accomplishes the same, and also protects the floor a bit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 135 Guests (See full list)

  • Forum Statistics

    29652
    Total Topics
    402127
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    22374
    Total Members
    3644
    Most Online
    ExtraGrit
    Newest Member
    ExtraGrit
    Joined