pkinneb

Coffee Table build

Recommended Posts

A wonderful looking piece and a great setting for it.  It just came out great; color, proportion and locale.

Is there some wiggle room for the screws to allow the top to expand and contract?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gee-dub said:

...Is there some wiggle room for the screws to allow the top to expand and contract?

I did but I was surprised that Rodel did not mention anything in the video series or the article...and then I started thinking about it everything (top, shelf, sides, top attachment pieces) all should move in the same direction so is it really an issue? In the end i thought better to be safe then sorry but I am not convinced it's an issue on this piece

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top and top attachment strips won't change length .  Shelf and ends will all move in the same direction. But the top will expand and contract across the grain so elongating the screw holes sideways would make sense.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Top and top attachment strips won't change length .  Shelf and ends will all move in the same direction. But the top will expand and contract across the grain so elongating the screw holes sideways would make sense.

Agreed but since the sides will expand in the same direction as the supports and the top won't everything move together? Having said that I did elongate the holes as you suggested prior to securing the top  so I'm good either way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Agreed but since the sides will expand in the same direction as the supports and the top won't everything move together? Having said that I did elongate the holes as you suggested prior to securing the top  so I'm good either way

It is also QSWO so it will move even less than what you would expect from flat sawn lumber. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just looked back over the picture and you are quite right. Since the ends are all crossgrain there shouldn't be any significant difference in the movement between the ends and the top. Having said that I would have elongated the holes just in case. I have had to fix tops that someone ridgidly attached and they cupped or cracked for whatever reason so CYA is my standard operating procedure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

I just looked back over the picture and you are quite right. Since the ends are all crossgrain there shouldn't be any significant difference in the movement between the ends and the top. Having said that I would have elongated the holes just in case. I have had to fix tops that someone ridgidly attached and they cupped or cracked for whatever reason so CYA is my standard operating procedure.

Yep we’re on the same page Steve better safe than sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I real like the look of that table.  It really came out nice.

5 hours ago, pkinneb said:

and then I started thinking about it everything (top, shelf, sides, top attachment pieces) all should move in the same direction so is it really an issue?

My last project I kind of had this same conversation with my self for about 3 hours. :D And yea, I went with some figure 8's... peace of mind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work Paul.  Impressive all the way around.  I like it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now