Chestnut

Shower Bench

Looks good, Drew! Ipe weathers nicely outdoors, with rain and sun exposure. Not sure how it will do in a shower, as mildew is more likely to form without sunshine. Sounds like your cleaning practices will keep it good, though.

Seems I recall @thewoodwhisperer doing a shower bench with CPES & Epifanes. Wonder how that is holding up?

Ipe seems to be a go to wood for similar constructions in hotels, spas, specifically for its appearance and durability. I think it is an excellent choice. Good work!

Excellent design. I'd copy it, but my shower has a built in seat in case as my family ages we'll have a place to park our butts.

• Like 1

That came out nice Drew.  Clean, simple design, is it something you saw before or your own design?

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looks good, Drew! Ipe weathers nicely outdoors, with rain and sun exposure. Not sure how it will do in a shower, as mildew is more likely to form without sunshine. Sounds like your cleaning practices will keep it good, though.

Seems I recall @thewoodwhisperer doing a shower bench with CPES & Epifanes. Wonder how that is holding up?

I don't know that's a good question. I thought about going that way but i didn't want to put in the effort and the cash. I used less than a shot glass of finish on this. Also from the back of the can this finish seems easy to repair and recoat as needed. I used Watco Butcher Block Oil Finish. I couldn't remember what i used and had to check.

12 minutes ago, Chet said:

That came out nice Drew.  Clean, simple design, is it something you saw before or your own design?

I can't clam design other then to make it a triangle. I wanted a 3 leggeed thing instead of 4. With a tile floor there would be no way to level 4 legs. Inspiration for the slatted design is from benches in shower areas at campgrounds.

Great looking bench !  I hope she loves it. 

It should be way easy to scrub it with an abrasive pad and add another coat of that Watco finish. I've used it for years.  I see no reason to worry, it's not out in the hot sun.