Movement Issue or Drying Issue?

I've posted this on the Guild FaceBook group, but thought I would see if anyone over here had any opinions as well.

I recently finished a table for our kitchen. One of the glue joints in the top has begun to fail (picture 1). This was a problem with the joint itself. There was too much of a gap and I tried to force it closed with clamping pressure. I'm going to use some epoxy to try and fix it. I've posted a picture of that below.

The second and fourth picture below is something new that has just recently occurred. A crack has developed right next to the glue joint. It runs a few inches into the table top. I figure the best way to fix this is with a butterfly from the underside. I attached the top with table top fasteners (picture 3).

My question is what did I do wrong? I know the problem with the glue joint, but this crack that has developed makes me think I might have done something wrong. Could it be the heat in the house is causing the wood to crack? If so wouldn't the tabletop fasteners allow for wood movement? Just curious what I need to do differently next time. Thanks for any insight.

IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1953.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

Edited by revjdhiatt
Clarification

I am guessing, but if you had to put that much pressure to clamp you glue joint, its a matter of something had to give.  Besides the dutchman on the bottom side of the crack I think I would consider fitting the whole crack with epoxy.

• Like 2

Do you remember if that end was the end of a board or the middel. It could be a check that happened from too quick of a dry that started cracking again after it's in place. It's been cold and dry most places so we've been seeing a lot of cracked woodwork on the forums. With it towards the outside away form fasteners i don't think it's from fastening the table top down too much.

5 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Do you remember if that end was the end of a board or the middel. It could be a check that happened from too quick of a dry that started cracking again after it's in place. It's been cold and dry most places so we've been seeing a lot of cracked woodwork on the forums. With it towards the outside away form fasteners i don't think it's from fastening the table top down too much.

I don't I had three boards around 12ft long that I used to make the top. I'm not sure where this one came from out of that mix.

31 minutes ago, revjdhiatt said:

I don't I had three boards around 12ft long that I used to make the top. I'm not sure where this one came from out of that mix.

It was a long shot. I think epoxy would be the best fix for a table. If you do a bowtie on the bottom it won't hurt but i'd want to seal that crack up.

Just my 2 worth..  I'm guessing there was a small undetected check there when you did the glue up.  From your own words, you forced the seams together a bit and this location failed at the check rather than the glue joint.

Personally, I would put a Dutchman in it which would give it more support than epoxy alone.

• Like 1

1. Seems to me that the board wasn't fully dry when the table was built & has since shrunk enough to open that crack up. I think @Chestnut nailed it when he asked what part of the board that was. I'm betting the end that cracked was from the middle of one of the original boards & had far higher moisture content than the ends.

Did you move a few weeks ago this table into a heated house (it is winter, and very cold this year) ?

Was the lumber acclimated to a heated house ?

Moving furniture into a heated environment with very low humidity will stress the wood.

I have a raised panel that I worked on during a summer, and I moved the un-assembled parts into a heated basement for the winter, which develop a similar crack.

The lumber was a few years old.

Wait a few more weeks, to let it stabilize before you try to fix it.

• Like 1