So is face jointing long boards not needed?

Cygnus A

6 hours ago, Art said:

I know this is a bit of a hijack, but I'd never heard of this beadlock system before.  It looks like a poor man's domino to me.  I can see that it isn't as efficient or quick, but otherwise seems like a reasonable loose tenon system, at a significant cost savings.  Am I missing something here?

You nailed it - beadlock is not quick. 

Fast, good, cheap. Domino hits 2/3, Beadlock hits 2/3. Just not the same 2.

I think beadlock is not so popular because it has little advantage over a router cut mortise, and the routed mortise doesn't need special tenons.

I expand the range of tenons available for my Domino by making wider & longer ones than Festool sells.  Scrap, tablesaw, drum sander (maybe a planer could suffice) and the router table. Domino machines have 3 width settings but they only sell tenons to fit the smallest width.  When 2 dominos won't fit a part I use one of my  wider ones. 

The trick is when you set up cut a bunch of scrap sticks 18" -24" long . Then you can cut them to length as needed. 

I think someone sells a router bit to make your own beadlock tenon stock . I bet it's not easy to get set up just right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

You nailed it - beadlock is not quick. 

Fast, good, cheap. Domino hits 2/3, Beadlock hits 2/3. Just not the same 2.

I think beadlock is not so popular because it has little advantage over a router cut mortise, and the routed mortise doesn't need special tenons.

It is also only marginally better than just going for regular dowels. In his use case, I think dowels, installed more quickly, should perform just as well. I imagine the glue joint without any connectors will be fine, and the dowels/biscuits/tenons are really only there to provide alignment assistance during glue up.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Llama said:

Watching guys like Diresta on youtube trying to get woodworking instruction is like watching a movie with a drunk lady making cookies. Sure, it's entertaining but you aren't going to learn how to make cookies. 

I don't know if i want to watch a guy run around a shop I'll just put a mirror up. At least i tell myself jokes his videos don't even have witty remarks.

• Like 1

Watched it again and still can't see the hack.. I make these tables at work. A little better than the video...

These are for Chilli's restaurant. One to two per store.....

I don't run the face on the jointer, but will run through the planer for a consistent thickness before glue up...

IMG_0246 (1).JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

Whenever I have to decide whether or not to joint something, my go-to indication is whether or not I can easily bend out a bow by hand.  I figure that if I'm strong enough to correct it without straining, then the glue should have no problem.  If, say, there is ⅛" of cupping over a 6' length, there's no point in losing thickness at the jointer.  In the picture from Diresta, however, I'd definitely have gone with different boards.  Those are way out of line.  But, as has been said, he doesn't claim to be a maker of fine furniture.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Think0075 said:

Chestnut, thinks he is a superior craftsman because he face joints all his boards, cool...

I'm not a superior craftsman just a fellow hack. I don't facejoint all my lumber which is why i'm aware of the problems it causes. I don't think diresta tries on a lot of his projects. He just needs to get a youtube video out which is his job, a job he's doing well. I don't know why you guys get bent out of shape for me calling a duck a duck disagree with me cool that's what life is.

• Like 2

Anyone here regularly face joint 10" x 10 foot x 8/4 boards?  It's almost impossible to get them perfectly flat.  I tried it for my wife's desk, and I had to remove a lot of material.  When the boards are that long, The flex in across the entire board is quite a lot, to the point where sometimes bow can be there, or not, depending on what face is up and where the supports are.  For twist, jointing can help, but having it perfectly flat is not always necessary, especially if it has something like 1/4" twist across 10 feet.  That will never cause a glue up problem or snap back, unless it is 3" thick.

There's also the type of table the top goes on.  An apron like the one he has has a lot of support.  A trestle would have been a lot more important to maintain flatness.