So is face jointing long boards not needed?

Cygnus A

15 minutes ago, MisterDrow said:

I'm snagging one of those next month. I've seen lots of people modding them, is it necessary or does it do a decent job in its stock form?

After having a proper DC i don't think I'd mess around with modding the HF dc. It might work okay in the end but the cost and effort to get there might not be that much cheaper than a 1.5hp mobile cyclone unit. Rough math  if you bought a decent cyclone and hepa retrofit your out $700. The downside is the HF DC doesn't pull much static pressure so then the impeller upgrade comes along and that's another $100 so your at $800 Grizzley isn't too far off.

Buy the HF DC run it until you can save for something better or just run it stock. I had one and thought it worked well. I just got sick of the fine dust and emptying the bags.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

After having a proper DC i don't think I'd mess around with modding the HF dc. It might work okay in the end but the cost and effort to get there might not be that much cheaper than a 1.5hp mobile cyclone unit. Rough math  if you bought a decent cyclone and hepa retrofit your out $700. The downside is the HF DC doesn't pull much static pressure so then the impeller upgrade comes along and that's another $100 so your at $800 Grizzley isn't too far off.

Buy the HF DC run it until you can save for something better or just run it stock. I had one and thought it worked well. I just got sick of the fine dust and emptying the bags.

I'm going to be doing a lot more in my shop this year and since dust collection has been my biggest problem up to now I figured I needed to do something. I have a friend who is upgrading next month and is selling his HF DC & a couple hoses to me for $50. I figure even if it works moderately well that's far better than I've currently got going. I also plan on getting a dust deputy to use on my smaller tools with the shop vac and will mainly use the HF DC for the table saw, router, etc. If things go as planned this year, I'll be upgrading to a better table saw, getting a band saw capable of resawing, and then I will probably look at upgrading my DC setup at that point.

30 minutes ago, MisterDrow said:

I'm going to be doing a lot more in my shop this year and since dust collection has been my biggest problem up to now I figured I needed to do something. I have a friend who is upgrading next month and is selling his HF DC & a couple hoses to me for $50. I figure even if it works moderately well that's far better than I've currently got going. I also plan on getting a dust deputy to use on my smaller tools with the shop vac and will mainly use the HF DC for the table saw, router, etc. If things go as planned this year, I'll be upgrading to a better table saw, getting a band saw capable of resawing, and then I will probably look at upgrading my DC setup at that point.

Can't go wrong for $50. I have one myself i'm looking to sell. Don't know the best way to go about it.

47 minutes ago, Chet said:

When I was getting rid of my 6 inch Grizzly jointer last November I was pondering the best way to get rid of it.  I finally came to the conclusion that even though it was still a good machine it didn't have enough monetary value to me to want to make a chore of it.  So I posted it here free in the market place to anyone that wanted to come pick it up, no delivery.  After a few hours I posted it in the guild Facebook page and I guy claimed it in about 10 minutes.  It was gone out of my shop an hour later, easy peasy.  You help someone out that doesn't have the tool and you move something you don't need or want.

Chet you hit the nail on the head with your old jointer.  Sometimes it's better to let an item go cheaply or for free to avoid aggravation, which if you value your time makes it easier to justify lower price or free.

I listened to Jimmy's voice over of the video today and here is an excerpt

"I know that I'm not going to get a perfect top, but I'm not really going for perfection. I am just going for a cool table build that looks vintage and a little rustic.... I'm just having fun in my shop. I'm not saving babies, I'm not curing cancer, I'm just building a table so I don't take it all that serious."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy Wright said:

I listened to Jimmy's voice over of the video today and here is an excerpt

"I know that I'm not going to get a perfect top, but I'm not really going for perfection. I am just going for a cool table build that looks vintage and a little rustic.... I'm just having fun in my shop. I'm not saving babies, I'm not curing cancer, I'm just building a table so I don't take it all that serious."

The question wasn't should Jimmy do it. The question was what we do.