What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

How long do you go between filter cleanings? I try and clean mine annually with some light blasts from the air compressor on the outside weekly.

That’s part of the problem. I should do it more often but I usually wait for the machine to tell me it’s sick. I’d guess annually but it may be a little more than that. It would neve to two years that’s for sure. I do make more chips and sawdust than that :) 

• Like 1

Depending on the use, I will go around the filter, top to bottom and give it several taps with my palm while attached to the dc. When the collection bag bulges like a ballon, I take it outside and place it in a large plastic garbage inverted and scrape the inside with my hand/fingers. I read somewhere that a 80% or so clean filter if more efficient than a new filter. Or maybe that was just wishful dreaming? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Coop said:

Depending on the use, I will go around the filter, top to bottom and give it several taps with my palm while attached to the dc. When the collection bag bulges like a ballon, I take it outside and place it in a large plastic garbage inverted and scrape the inside with my hand/fingers. I read somewhere that a 80% or so clean filter if more efficient than a new filter. Or maybe that was just wishful dreaming? 

You are correct Ccop, all air filters can filter smaller particles once they’re “seasoned.” There is a small decrease in air flow but better filtration. 
I dump the bag upside down in another garbage bag too, best way to keep,it clean. I had a small hole in the bag so I threw them both in the lawn and leaf bin. 

Next model has arrived!

BE47ED92-C727-4F59-B09D-AE28A85C9C29.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coop said:

And it turned your grass white? 

That's how far it throws chips.

41 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Oops.  Good thing you weren't walking nearby when it fell, you coulda got injured.  Now make something.

Gonna mill it up and give it to my dad. It's boxelder and was damaged it looks like it might have some good red streaking.

14 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I bought a thing. Then something fell over.

0306201717_HDR.thumb.jpg.ea616e744167cf27ee148ff18281e66b.jpg

Not sure how this happened.... :o:D

That’s a big log there. I’ve seen where guys will carve out some pretty cool stuff once a tree is topped. They leave it in the ground and just have a wooden sculpture. It really amazes me how they can do what they do and the detail they put in the work.

BTW - nice saw, you can’t go wrong with Stihl.

• Like 2

Damn. You need to drive that thing more!! Sweet ride!

Anyone familiar with the kids book “If you give a mouse a cookie”? That was my hour and a half in the shop today. Try cutting a dado, realize I need a zero clearance insert. Open up the saw to trace out spots where the set screws go, have to vacuum it out. First have to empty the vacuum.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

When it's cold it helps a little bit. When it's warm it's not so bad.

Same with the old 066.  I've been meaning to get one of those shock absorbing pull handles, but never think about it at the right time.  It yanks back sometimes.  I guess they come with them now.

7 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Yep I'd have fun with a car like that. Tires at cheap right?

0307201558.thumb.jpg.55fd46be9e04e0e03fe5f8fbf7ed3cd8.jpg

Was hoping to mill these tomorrow but won't be the case shipping got delayed. 5 6' 12" to 20"  box elder. The ends are pink so they should have some flame in them.

Eagle F1 Supercar EMT - they aren't to bad. They are run flats so they think they should cost more I have had to replace them due to getting a screw in one of the front tires and I paid $440 per tire. 

BTW - you guys still have a lot of snow up there. I was thinking about going up to Hayward but I guess I will wait a while longer.

7 hours ago, MJC said:

Eagle F1 Supercar EMT - they aren't to bad. They are run flats so they think they should cost more I have had to replace them due to getting a screw in one of the front tires and I paid $440 per tire. 

BTW - you guys still have a lot of snow up there. I was thinking about going up to Hayward but I guess I will wait a while longer.

That's a bit expensive for highway art. I suppose good quality "paint" makes the artwork better.

That picture is on the north side of a hill that has pines along the ridge. I'll have snow there the end of may. Everywhere else is. Grass.