What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

32 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

Sitting at school creating distance Ed lessons to try to keep kids moving during quarantine. 

My son has been home for 2 days, and all he keeps saying is this sucks and he wishes he was at school.   I'm happy in some respects, cause now these kids have to actually do the work, not just be present in the classroom.  I doubt I would enjoy having to do school this way.

21 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

My son has been home for 2 days, and all he keeps saying is this sucks and he wishes he was at school.   I'm happy in some respects, cause now these kids have to actually do the work, not just be present in the classroom.  I doubt I would enjoy having to do school this way.

I am only worried about the kids who can talk things over with me, but do no work. Failure to submit work will equal attendance issues here. That won’t help verbal kids. 

• Like 2

I would say it's easier when the kids are older - speaking from experience.  When my kids were younger it was tougher, but now that they're older (high school and college) it's easier.  They know to leave me alone, especially if the door is closed; and to double check that I'm not on a phone call before making a lot of noise or asking me something.  Certainly it's more difficult when both parents need to work.

A friend of mine who works from home a lot told me a story of when he was on a video conf call, and one of his teenagers needed to get something from the room he was in...so the teen thought he'd be clever and crawl along the floor, Mission-impossible like, to avoid the camera.  The mission failed, and my friend made it a point to get the teen on the camera, introduce him, ask him a lot of questions...in general, embarrass him.  The teen has never interrupted a work call since.

• Haha 2

I’m hiding in my shop so I can run a webinar with 100+ people on it. We have 2 kids under 5 so it’s a lot of trying to distract them and get 5 minutes of work done. One naps so that’s a nice 2 hour block and then another 1.5-2 hours after they go to bed. We’re trading off for phone calls. 

Since i’m in the shop While running the webinar I’m hand sanding some plywood edges. 

E96D54C7-3EDA-42E8-B28D-CB3B843CE3B8.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tpt life said:

Bandwidth....wondering about live streaming needs in a house of 5. 

I heard an "expert" on the radio yesterday saying that for the most part it should hold up because the system has been built up to handle heavy night time streaming and all.  Now day time streaming might be just as heavy with all the work being done from homes.

Seems like a lot of our internal web conferences are lagging and people can't use videochats in large numbers.

I'm curious to see what these colleges do who have shut down campus with the students tuition, room and board, etc. I can't imagine I'll be getting any money back from daycare, but it sure would be nice. I just hope their employees are being paid with my money and it's not just going to the bottom line.

58 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Seems like a lot of our internal web conferences are lagging and people can't use videochats in large numbers.

2 hours ago, Tpt life said:

Bandwidth....wondering about live streaming needs in a house of 5. 

1 hour ago, Chet said:

I heard an "expert" on the radio yesterday saying that for the most part it should hold up because the system has been built up to handle heavy night time streaming and all.  Now day time streaming might be just as heavy with all the work being done from homes.

I assume the issues will be more related to a service company's servers rather than home, office, or ISP bandwidth. Servers for Skype, Zoom, Slack, Teams, etc.

1 minute ago, treeslayer said:

Be sure to check the right log book, he probably has three, sorry Rick I had to say it:ph34r:

If he's a "good" driver he should have five log books.  One for each direction and one new one for all the time he spent at home the last month.:D

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, legenddc said:

'm curious to see what these colleges do who have shut down campus with the students tuition, room and board, etc. 

We got en email from my daughter's college indicating thats ince it will be online-instruction for the rest of the spring semester (so far, that's actually working out OK), there will be a prorated refund of room/board.....they just need to figure out the details.

We're giving the helpers paid leave for a couple of weeks, at least, and just hanging out.  We had one litter of puppies a couple of days ago, and another due any time, so we have plenty of entertainment.  There are no current worries anywhere near us, but decided we might as well do our part.

Still waiting on special wrenches on the tractor job, to change out all the buggered up hard hydraulic lines, so I'll start replacing crank seals in all the Stihl equipment tomorrow, to both have something to do, and it's due anyway.   They all should idle, and run better with new seals.  They always do.

• Like 2