What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

You didn't need all these trick tailgates when the trucks were the right height. My old pickup I can reach over the sides and get anything out with ease. My neighbors '08(?) Silverado the bed comes up to my armpits. I imagine the newer trucks are even higher.

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

They make driving around cities really nice and easy, which is something i have to do frequently.

Yeah, driving around the local 'city' of 68k people is more than I care for. Driving through places like Memphis or Nashville gives me white knuckles and puckered cheeks. I don't even like to think about driving around in really large city.

Back when GPS's were just getting popular, I was headed to a job in Maryland, driving a dually, pulling a gooseneck trailer, on a Friday night.  I decided to just follow the GPS directions, since I didn't know exactly where the place was in Maryland.  It was right on the other side of D.C.  It sent me straight through D.C., on a busy Friday night.  That was the worst driving experience ever, and I thought I did really good not to touch anything, including several buses that were pushing the limits, and streets full of people walking.

I still use GPS, but maps as well, and only work close to home these days.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I should have just stopped after the first mistake

This is pretty much my standard operation.  How quickly I turn off the machines for the day is in direct relation to the price per board foot of the material in use.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I tried to make some drawers today for a vanity I'm making for a friend. I miss cut once twice and then left the shop. I should have just stopped after the first mistake. Luckily it was only a $20 sheet of 1/4" ply that I lost.

Must have been something in the air I cut short the back panel on one of my cabinets by an 1". I had enough material to fix the mistake but still annoyed me since a measured not only twice but three times and still cut it short :o