new2woodwrk

What did you do today?

2 hours ago, lewisc said:

That's definitely a good idea Rick. They're drawn in line with the edge of the table top but coming in a little won't hurt.

It'll also help with potential sag in the middle of the table lengthwise.

5 hours ago, RichardA said:

To bad about the templates, ya just never know when you might make a buck or two from doing them for money.

I have no interest in making the chairs for money. I have the only 6 that will ever be made.

3 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

I would’ve freaked out - I tend to keep everything, “just in case.”

Why I still have the CAD file and PDF templates. Though I'm never going to make more so I don't see the point in saving them. They take up a ton of valuable space. I disposed of most of teh Morris chair forms and templates as well. After I've made the project the template just gets in the way, it's worthless. Made for a good fire tough.

7 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

So it decided to snow today

We have the weirdest weather right now. every 15 min it switches between sunny and 40, and 32 and a blizzard.

29 minutes ago, Gary Beasley said:

When you slice off that first layer to square the log save the pieces and turn some platters with them.

That's a great idea. My lathe is kinda small though. My swing is on 12" (swing is the right term?)

Yeah same thing here, on this day in 1972 there was a snowstorm that dropped 14” of snow on this area, we weren’t here, stationed with the Army in Kansas

31 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

That's a great idea. My lathe is kinda small though. My swing is on 12" (swing is the right term?)

Thats a nice size for a platter. Have fun with it. Turn them rough a bit thick and bag it, by Christmas you might be able to make presents.

2 years ago we had 16" drop but that was april 13th.... I remember driving to DQ to get an ice cream cake in the middle of it.

The latest it's ever snowed here was on April 18th-don't remember the year.  I remember the date because that's our Anniversity date, and my Mother's Birthday.   We have pictures, somewhere on 35mm, of snow on Azalea blossoms.  It was 77 here today.

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

... I remember driving to DQ to get an ice cream cake in the middle of it.

Only in MN LOL

What is it with weird spring weather? The biggest snow West Tn has seen ( in my lifetime) was just over 12", and happened during the second week of April, back around 1976 or '77.

14 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

What is it with weird spring weather?

Yea, we never get lake effect snow in Pittsburgh in April. Lakes are usually frozen over. Sigh.....

Burgh snow.jpg

It’s mid-60s here today and tomorrow it’s s’posed to be in the 40s *shrug* Spring is here. Had snow a couple weeks ago now I need to mow the lawn!

• Like 2

On 4/16/2020 at 7:26 AM, legenddc said:

Went to pick up a 12 drawer Stanley Stack 'n Slide that I bought on ebay. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it was only $35. While I was there I picked up a Record 52 ED vise for $25. Guess it was worth the trip.

I've bought a lot of tools over the last 4-5 weeks. This quarantine is going to get expensive. 

Don't worry i bought a new furnace and AC and a new ATV. Found the ATV new for cheaper that 5 year old ones with 2k miles. AC leaked all it's Freon out again.

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Don't worry i bought a new furnace and AC and a new ATV. Found the ATV new for cheaper that 5 year old ones with 2k miles. AC leaked all it's Freon out again.

Glad it's not just me. I'm now painting 12' crown molding in a 13'4" room and get to install it sometime soon. Was debating on upgrading my miter saw but thought that could be considered excessive. 

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Glad it's not just me. I'm now painting 12' crown molding in a 13'4" room and get to install it sometime soon. Was debating on upgrading my miter saw but thought that could be considered excessive. 

Excessive? If that’s not the ideal situation to upgrade/buy a miter saw I don’t know what is!

• Like 1

We'll see how the current one does. I'd rather save that money for a jointer. My shop is too small to keep a miter saw in it and set up. This molding is going to have to be cut outside as the weather/kids allow.