What did you do today?

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My DIL has a sister (lives on the other side of the country) who is an extremely unfit parent, so they have taken on legal guardianship of he 7 YO son. So now I am his defacto grandfather. His other g

Speaking of projects to make the wife happy, I finished up the crown molding on our first floor yesterday. Had a bit of a break since I started since we had our deck built in the middle. Old deck

Only because I didn't want to disappoint you, Ken, I used mesquite for trim on the doors and stiles. And to top it off, I used Lone Star pulls.

Posted Images

11 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Tom, I've cut a lot of firewood, and been pretty successful about not hitting dirt, but I've never used a chain saw in such a way that didn't work up a sweat! :lol:

I just move slowly, and not put out much effort.  I cut with a light hand, and don't push the saw.

• Like 1

@Tom King, love the sound of that hotrod 066, definitely sounds like the muffler has been opened up. That is the way to get it done!

@JohnG, getting your pile of logs, maybe I missed it, but have you done any milling yet with your new setup?

Wish you were closer i'd take a few of those cedar and cypress logs for milling. Air dried softwoods are an entirely different world from the material bought at the box stores.

• Like 1

All the cedar/cypress are small- 4-6” max diameter. They’ve been blown over by the wind or knocked over by fallen pines. Wouldn’t be good for much. 

Since you guys are talking about cutting trees...what is the expert opinion on the best way to cut this fallen branch off? FWIW its up about 8' at the tree trunk where it broke.

t1.jpg.9087ed63f6636f69e4188547914d49c1.jpg

That's a lot like the Silver Maple, that I cut up in that video was, only the whole tree was leaning like that.

First, I'd cut all the small limbs, and drag them out of the way, leaving whatever is supporting the end, but cut all the small stuff off those branches too.

Once you have it clear enough to walk safely all around it, make some cuts that will let the supporting limbs break, once more weight is on them.  Then go make a cut that will allow the whole thing to drop, near the tree trunk.  On that Silver Maple, I cut a wedge out underneath, and a wedge down from the top.  The last thing is to cut almost all of it away, but stop when it starts dropping, and get back out of the way.

That's probably not a job for someone without much experience.  The Silver Maple made a Loud Crack/Bang when it broke, and dropped, but I was thirty feet away by then.  It was growing on the bank of a stream, and high water had washed enough dirt off that side of the roots that it leaned, and kept leaning until some branches stopped it.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

@pkinneb, I assume that tubing is for removing dust? If so, what powers the air stream? Aquarium pump?

Correct. Honestly not sure what kinda pump it’s a small teardrop shape that you plug in. I haven’t tried that yet but will report back what I find out when I use it

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I"ll be unloading this load of wood i got yesterday.

0326211752_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.0d45a986059c91c0c922e1ff3c2430c7.jpeg

Snagged a bunch of prime cherry that is at least 90% heart 1 face for the cabinets i'm making.

0326211756-01.thumb.jpeg.f2045f89b959b4b228043c21d5cfb720.jpeg

This board is about 1 foot wide.... :D

I also bought some 1 com cherry just to see what it was like. Price was a massive $2.50 / BF quality is better than the Select and better i've seen at some yards.

0326211803_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.b555b6e18ded4f1b111502c6ea0f5e94.jpeg

I think I'm going to do 1 com from now on. The price makes it east to buy some extra to account for the knots but the character of the wood is awesome. For cabinets that I'll be using narrow pieces on the prime stuff is better though.

The walnut in the stack is going to a friend of mine. He piggybacked on my order to get a discount .... and free delivery.

The color is top notche because they don't steam.

0326211800_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.dcb9ad9f41ca5e804dbb9ec351ea84e1.jpeg

0326211809_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.9d1f2946b8f3d38c1d53a1c7409c365a.jpeg

First feel free to run that over and I'll help you unload :)

Second where did you get it?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

First feel free to run that over and I'll help you unload :)

Second where did you get it?

I'll unload it at whom ever is willing to pay for it :D

Renneberg in st cloud.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

This board is about 1 foot wide.... :D

If that shoe belong to my wife that board would barely be 6 inches wide, well maybe 7.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Chet said:

If that shoe belong to my wife that board would barely be 6 inches wide, well maybe 7.

Lol i don't have large feet so i doubt it's acctually 12" but it might be close.

21 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Wow nice score Drew I would pay that all day long, cherry here is $4.10 BF, agree on the 1 common, some waste but the grain around the knots makes it worth it IMO

They did have a select and better grade that was close to what you pay. I wanted the higher heart grade so I didn't have to dodge sapwood for door rails and stiles.

• Like 1