What did you do today?


new2woodwrk
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 7/24/2021 at 7:48 PM, JohnG said:

Definitely don’t want the 52”, just the 36”. Any thoughts on the two overarm dust options? I’m considering doing the router table and lift.

I’m coming from a small jobsite saw so the PCS would be a luxurious amount of table depth, but I’ll also price out the ICS. 

Bought it today. 3hp, 36” with right router table with lift and dc box, industrial mobile base. Passed on the overarm DC.

Need to make a 240v extension cord for it and decide where to put it. Waiting to hear back about their delivery options or whether I should just borrow a truck and get it this weekend.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Robby W said:

Replaced my garage door opener this weekend. The old one was a Genie screwdriver and lasted 23 years, so I guess I got money's worth.

Replaced it with a new Genie. This one is a belt drive. Bolted into almost the same brackets. It has a soft start and stop too. I can't believe how quite it is. Has some new security features since it really isn't my garage it is on. :ph34r:

I always find it ironic when they tout how quiet openers are... whisper silent so your kids can sneak your cars out of the house easier. Never mind that the vehicle is still 10x louder than the loudest opener.

You can open our loud AF garage doors with out hearing them in the house. The rumble from the exhaust sounds like someone is beating a bass drum in our bedroom though.... :D.

14 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Ordered a new Ford F150 hybrid pickup...unfortunately it will probably take 6 months to get :o

Going to the Ford side, eh? Are you going to wait and trade in the Chevy or sell it outright now? I sold mine for $7,500 more than the trade in offer, it was a no brainier. Just pop some winter tires on one of your mazdas for a while :D :ph34r:.

My gladiator is being assembled right now. Probably take delivery in a couple weeks which puts it around 6-7 weeks from order to delivery.... just want to rub that in a bit :D.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 10:51 AM, Chestnut said:

Going to the Ford side, eh? Are you going to wait and trade in the Chevy or sell it outright now? I sold mine for $7,500 more than the trade in offer, it was a no brainier. Just pop some winter tires on one of your mazdas for a while :D :ph34r:.

My gladiator is being assembled right now. Probably take delivery in a couple weeks which puts it around 6-7 weeks from order to delivery.... just want to rub that in a bit :D.

Like you I am going to sell it outright just need to wait until I get back from MASW in Oct. Trap league ends in Aug so after my class I really don't have to have a vehicle per se since I work from home. I can use the wife's Jeep if need be for the occasional trip just need to make sure I don't need any lumber that would not be received well at all LOL. Honestly I looked at all three GMC, RAM, and Ford. While I really do like the looks of the GMC on the outside their interiors and technology is just not anywhere near Ram and Ford. Ultimately I choose the Ford for the Powerboost hybrid motor, on board generator and the ride. Its really a luxury car dressed like a pickup. 

I look forward to hearing how you like the Jeep, I loved my 2012 Wrangler just couldn't get past not having a pickup...oh and the mileage but from everything I've read Jeep has solved both those short comings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I look forward to hearing how you like the Jeep, I loved my 2012 Wrangler just couldn't get past not having a pickup...oh and the mileage but from everything I've read Jeep has solved both those short comings.

The one i drove was just like what you said. A more luxury car warped in a Jeep Wrangler with a box. There is no WAY the Gladiator is going to ride as nice as the Ford but I don't care, any thing is going to be "smoother" than my WRX. That's just the price you pay to be able to take a cloverleaf at 60mph.

Driving a pickup of any kind is not going to be nice for mileage. From what I've been hearing the supposedly the higher MPG isn't really realized. With the big front end pushing all that air there is only so much they can do before physics just says it isn't possible. If you really want good mileage just get a Prius :P.

If you get caught and need a hand with a lumber trip reach out I'd be glad to help.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 3:58 PM, Chestnut said:

The one i drove was just like what you said. A more luxury car warped in a Jeep Wrangler with a box. There is no WAY the Gladiator is going to ride as nice as the Ford but I don't care, any thing is going to be "smoother" than my WRX. That's just the price you pay to be able to take a cloverleaf at 60mph.

Driving a pickup of any kind is not going to be nice for mileage. From what I've been hearing the supposedly the higher MPG isn't really realized. With the big front end pushing all that air there is only so much they can do before physics just says it isn't possible. If you really want good mileage just get a Prius :P.

If you get caught and need a hand with a lumber trip reach out I'd be glad to help.

I've had so much more fun driving than I thought possible at 2 mph offroading in a Jeep. Cars faster and nicer drive then my old Jeep but I still miss it. Something about putting the top down sure improved any bad day I was having.

Which engine/transmission combo did you get? I'm waiting for a while but really looking forward to getting another Jeep soon.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

If you really want good mileage just get a diesel :P.

 

Fixed that for you. Toyota and Datsun/Nissan were selling diesels in the 1970s that got better than 40mpg combined highway/city. Pickups with automatic transmissions, at that. Of course, current emission standards won't allow that in the US anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Fixed that for you. Toyota and Datsun/Nissan were selling diesels in the 1970s that got better than 40mpg combined highway/city. Pickups with automatic transmissions, at that. Of course, current emission standards won't allow that in the US anymore.

On the whole i agree with you. Winters up here though do not agree with diesels that well though.

14 hours ago, legenddc said:

I've had so much more fun driving than I thought possible at 2 mph offroading in a Jeep. Cars faster and nicer drive then my old Jeep but I still miss it. Something about putting the top down sure improved any bad day I was having.

Which engine/transmission combo did you get? I'm waiting for a while but really looking forward to getting another Jeep soon.

I'm somewhat excited for it. I've never had 4wd before so that'll be a new thing. Top off and doors of is going to be awesome as well.  The sad part is 99% of the miles I drive are going to be on pavement and of those 1% 75% are just gravel roads. So the reality is i doubt I'm going to be off-road with the jeep much. Most of the work the 4wd system is going to get will be from driving through snow.

Aren't many options on the Gladiator. I got the 3.6l Pentstar with 6spd Manual. There is a 3.0L diesel but again winter. You also are locked into an automatic. I was considering buying my first automatic vehicle but then decided I'd probably hate it and regret my decision. Oh i also got the limited slip rear diff. That's going to make a huge difference in the winter. I can't count how many times I've been inconvenienced because i can only get 1 wheel spinning. I was tempted to gull full Rubicon for front and rear lockers but $$$ and I'd never drive the thing off-road. I got the overland model which is more the luxury model but not quite fully decked out.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2021 at 7:57 AM, Chestnut said:

On the whole i agree with you. Winters up here though do not agree with diesels that well though.

I'm somewhat excited for it. I've never had 4wd before so that'll be a new thing. Top off and doors of is going to be awesome as well.  The sad part is 99% of the miles I drive are going to be on pavement and of those 1% 75% are just gravel roads. So the reality is i doubt I'm going to be off-road with the jeep much. Most of the work the 4wd system is going to get will be from driving through snow.

Aren't many options on the Gladiator. I got the 3.6l Pentstar with 6spd Manual. There is a 3.0L diesel but again winter. You also are locked into an automatic. I was considering buying my first automatic vehicle but then decided I'd probably hate it and regret my decision. Oh i also got the limited slip rear diff. That's going to make a huge difference in the winter. I can't count how many times I've been inconvenienced because i can only get 1 wheel spinning. I was tempted to gull full Rubicon for front and rear lockers but $$$ and I'd never drive the thing off-road. I got the overland model which is more the luxury model but not quite fully decked out.

Not having driven any of the new one I'd still be tempted for the 6spd manual which leaves you with the 3.6l like you're getting. I had the limited slip rear diff in my '98 and it worked and worked well! The nice/dangerous thing with Jeeps is the aftermarket support. You can upgrade everything, add a front locker, etc. just have to watch how much you spend.

If you're interested in offroading with it, Jeep Jamboree puts together some very nice trips.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Not having driven any of the new one I'd still be tempted for the 6spd manual which leaves you with the 3.6l like you're getting. I had the limited slip rear diff in my '98 and it worked and worked well! The nice/dangerous thing with Jeeps is the aftermarket support. You can upgrade everything, add a front locker, etc. just have to watch how much you spend.

If you're interested in offroading with it, Jeep Jamboree puts together some very nice trips.

I talked with a friend that has a JKU (2007-2017) with a 6 speed. She said the new 2018+ manuals are a lot more well behaved and the shifting is nicer. She noted the JK's were leaps and bounds ahead of the pre-2007 manuals as well. She's been a wrangler fan for a long time.

I just contacted Jeep today. I saw news about the chip shortage effecting Gladiator and Wrangler production. My build is currently finished and at final inspection. It was at paint on Tuesday. So it looks like i missed being effect by the chip shortage by about a week. :D

I'll have to look into that. I already have a list of aftermarket parts I'm considering so yeah ... wallet is goign to hurt for the next year I'd bet.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2021 at 9:54 AM, Chestnut said:

I talked with a friend that has a JKU (2007-2017) with a 6 speed. She said the new 2018+ manuals are a lot more well behaved and the shifting is nicer. She noted the JK's were leaps and bounds ahead of the pre-2007 manuals as well. She's been a wrangler fan for a long time.

I just contacted Jeep today. I saw news about the chip shortage effecting Gladiator and Wrangler production. My build is currently finished and at final inspection. It was at paint on Tuesday. So it looks like i missed being effect by the chip shortage by about a week. :D

I'll have to look into that. I already have a list of aftermarket parts I'm considering so yeah ... wallet is goign to hurt for the next year I'd bet.

Oh yeah be careful on that one you can spend easily on a Jeep :)

Here's a couple pics of the one I had

1069533308_3-23-2014HangerShot.thumb.JPG.e5ea466b0f3aa234e629699cc98fbf9e.JPG

1768700371_2012Jeep-1.JPG.fe5ad91a99b495dbf9e1e7c995d13f1d.JPG

1782560313_2012Jeep-2.jpg.1aff35bb6869330063ea492b8c228674.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2021 at 5:08 PM, JohnG said:

Your plane, too?

Lol no my brother is the maintenance director for a equipment dealer in the cities its one of their planes. He does all my mechanic stuff and I do his ww projects.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I just found out that the plumbers I hired set the toilet drain only 15” from  the tub/shower. :angry: We have one bathroom that is at 18” and even that feels borderline too close. 

I framed a 2x4 wall behind the tub/shower so I suppose I could take that back out to gain some clearance. Or make them tear out the concrete they poured and redo it.

Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess 15” is the code minimum, I had thought it was 18”. We had plenty of room to space them out, so I’m not sure why they put it so close. Shame on me for not being more clear in what we wanted. Though, if they had shown up on the day they were supposed to start I would have been there to walk them through it.

The area they cut out and re-poured concrete is maybe 18”x60”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2021 at 7:37 PM, JohnG said:

I guess 15” is the code minimum, I had thought it was 18”. We had plenty of room to space them out, so I’m not sure why they put it so close. Shame on me for not being more clear in what we wanted. Though, if they had shown up on the day they were supposed to start I would have been there to walk them through it.

The area they cut out and re-poured concrete is maybe 18”x60”

Our plumbers did the same on our add on but luckily I had gc that I forced to correct it. And I know what you are talking about on them showing the day they were suppose to have. I’m like @Mark J, if you have the leverage, I would have them bust the concrete and do it right.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Drew, as we leave our water hoses connected 98% of the year, when I have to replace one of our outdoor faucets, I will start with a tee and put a faucet on both sides of the tee. One gets a hose and the other for washing hands or anything I don’t want to hold the nozzle to fill or wash. It’s just not as attractive as your install but sure is handy. 

Is the thing on top an anti-siphon device? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Coop said:

Drew, as we leave our water hoses connected 98% of the year, when I have to replace one of our outdoor faucets, I will start with a tee and put a faucet on both sides of the tee. One gets a hose and the other for washing hands or anything I don’t want to hold the nozzle to fill or wash. It’s just not as attractive as your install but sure is handy. 

Is the thing on top an anti-siphon device? 

I'll probably put a wye adapter on this one, not sure if that is similar to the tee you speak of. It'll allow me to have the irrigation line I'm going to install today hooked up along with a short hose.

It is an anti-siphon something or another. It's primarily there to prevent the unit from freezing during winter. The valve is inside the house and that allows the faucet to drain to prevent freeze damage. I think this one is 10" long. Which was good because it barley made it through the wall....

0808210959-01.thumb.jpeg.cfcc776db18d7b49e817d032d87a58f9.jpeg

The 1" tee that gave me some struggles. May have overheated this fitting not sure if that'll cause issues down the road. I've cut small sections out of a couple pipes and there is little to zero corrosion inside.

0808210959a-01.thumb.jpeg.07c99d3d60fbe06b5b648e5daa103051.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 76 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Forum Statistics

    29.8k
    Total Topics
    404.4k
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    22474
    Total Members
    3644
    Most Online
    desklog
    Newest Member
    desklog
    Joined