What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Got back home yesterday morning after a week-long 3 city tour for work. Missed the snow in Minneapolis by a day.

Our fridge is on the fritz so we dragged the kids to a couple of stores yesterday looking for a new one. Ordered one today for delivery on Friday. Picked up a used mini-fridge for the week.

Will need to install a water line for this new fridge. I've never soldered plumbing before but will pick up everything needed to get that done next weekend. Home Depot only seems to have push-connect fittings these days.

• Like 1

I "fixed" two refrigerators just lately.  One in the rental house had a dead mouse that had stopped the fan blades from turning, and burned the fan motor up.  A regular fan put it back to work taking heat off the evaporator coils, so I ordered a new fan for it.  The new fan, $94, put that one back to work.

The other, in our house, had the evaporator coils completely clogged with dust.  The freezer had stopped keeping stuff frozen.  All it took to fix that one was to take the cover off the back at the bottom, and clean the coils off.   It's working as good as it ever has now.

• Like 1

Is your wall thickness pretty close to even from rim to base?  I can't tell from the pictures.  I don't do much in the way of twice turned pieces, but I've been told that's important to keep a first turned bowl from cracking during the drying process.  

On 10/16/2022 at 4:34 PM, Mark J said:

Is your wall thickness pretty close to even from rim to base?  I can't tell from the pictures.  I don't do much in the way of twice turned pieces, but I've been told that's important to keep a first turned bowl from cracking during the drying process. 

Its about 3/4" all the way through.  There's a little extra on the bottom about 7/8" on the bottom that the tenon is attached to for some final shaping once it's dried out 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 1:00 PM, legenddc said:

Got back home yesterday morning after a week-long 3 city tour for work. Missed the snow in Minneapolis by a day.

Our fridge is on the fritz so we dragged the kids to a couple of stores yesterday looking for a new one. Ordered one today for delivery on Friday. Picked up a used mini-fridge for the week.

Will need to install a water line for this new fridge. I've never soldered plumbing before but will pick up everything needed to get that done next weekend. Home Depot only seems to have push-connect fittings these days.

The Pex piping seems to be the thing nowadays. 

On 10/16/2022 at 8:42 PM, Coop said:

I’m a fan of pex. It’s quick and easy and pretty foolproof (even I haven’t had any connections fail or leak!).

Sweating copper fittings is a good skill to have, but Pex is just so easy. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 2:16 PM, Tom King said:

I "fixed" two refrigerators just lately.  One in the rental house had a dead mouse that had stopped the fan blades from turning, and burned the fan motor up.  A regular fan put it back to work taking heat off the evaporator coils, so I ordered a new fan for it.  The new fan, $94, put that one back to work.

The other, in our house, had the evaporator coils completely clogged with dust.  The freezer had stopped keeping stuff frozen.  All it took to fix that one was to take the cover off the back at the bottom, and clean the coils off.   It's working as good as it ever has now.

Seems like air stopped passing from the freezer to the fridge and the humidity/defrost was way off. It's from 2005 apparently and I don't want to spend a bunch on it only for it to not be fixed. I cleaned the evaporator coils in March and again at least once since then. Not sure how it ran until March. There was so much dust I thought there was a filter in front of the coils.

Usually I'll try to repair appliances. Replaced a few parts in our dishwasher earlier this year and the microwave switch about a year ago. Wife wants a new fridge with the freezer on the bottom and an ice-maker.

On 10/16/2022 at 8:42 PM, Coop said:

But then no blow-torch...

On 10/17/2022 at 6:14 AM, JohnG said:

I’m a fan of pex. It’s quick and easy and pretty foolproof (even I haven’t had any connections fail or leak!).

Sweating copper fittings is a good skill to have, but Pex is just so easy. 

I'm swinging by a neighbor's house today or tomorrow to see how he ran his. Pex might be the way but we'll see. I think regardless I need to learn how to sweat copper fittings.

On 10/17/2022 at 10:56 AM, Chestnut said:

That a good thing or a bad thing? It was very pretty and lasted just the right amount of time (about 3 hours).

Uh, if it wasn't a lot it really doesn't matter. I was only in MN for 48 hours before heading to California. Just glad we didn't get stuck anywhere.

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Uh, if it wasn't a lot it really doesn't matter. I was only in MN for 48 hours before heading to California. Just glad we didn't get stuck anywhere.

Well if you ever get stuck here let me know. I haven't lived through a blizzard yet that has kept me off the road.

• Like 2

New fridge came yesterday. Had to pull the cabinet above the fridge out. Will trim the top of it 1/4” and rehang it. Hopefully I can avoid having to trim the doors too.C9AAF8EB-3E2E-4A5D-B88F-D5D1D7D75AB6.thumb.jpeg.cff2caec920014986ddc9fa5e2aa6a84.jpeg

Haven’t had a chance to run the water line yet. Oldest kid had the flu and now pneumonia. Youngest kid and I have sinus infections. 

• Sad 3

I've recut the cabinet over our refrigerator twice in 42 years.

I still have, and use the single shot youth Stevens .410 that my Dad gave me when I was 9.  I shot a snake with it not long ago.  I kept a no. 7-1/2 and a no. 4 shell close to it to select for whatever needed to be shot-woodpecker or Fox.  The shells are different colors, but it had been so long since I used it before that I forgot which was which.  Fearing the coiled Copperhead would get away, I didn't take time to look to see which was which.  Nothing in the house I wanted to hit it with, so I grabbed the little shotgun.

The snake was about 16" long, and in the girls' dog yard.   I aimed for his head from about 15 feet away, and his head disappeared.   No trace of it left at all, only a divot in the ground behind him.   I had grabbed the no. 4 shell and the full choke shoots a close pattern.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Coop said:

Dave, very well done! I started my son out squirrel hunting with an over and under .410/22. Is that strap made for squirrels? I have a couple of similar ones for ducks. 

Thanks Coop, I made that one just for squirrels, just a piece of oak and some para-cord loops, I’m planning to have a taxidermist mount the 2 black ones, enclose them in glass for lamp bases, but I’ll listen to any other ideas

Nice job with the copperhead. We've got them around here but so far we've been lucky enough to avoid them. Had a few neighbors or their dogs get bit by them.

Managed to get some woodworking in this weekend. Now that our floors are in I need to finish the remaining doors by taking the flat slab doors and making them appear to be 3-panel. Made good progress on 2 in the basement and will bring down the final 2 Tuesday or Wednesday after work. I took off Thursday and Friday this week to spray the doors before it gets too cold.

• Like 1

One more day of yard leaves to get up. Gutters are cleaned as much as I'm going to clean them. I pulled the batteries out of the boat along with the charger. Will have to clean it up and cover it..

Hopefully I back on woodworking projects tomorrow. Getting ready to hibernate  in the shop for winter.. Feeling like an old bear...

• Haha 1