What did you do today?


new2woodwrk
 Share

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I know but the fact that it is taking away money from new tools still hurts :P 

BAH i got caught in explain mode. I know you probably weren't asking for the information but i like to let people know that their tax money isn't wasted, when there are enough times that it actually is wasted.  

Dang local gov wasting your precious tool money how dare they! Worst part is now finished space is goign to increase so you'll get a property value bump and then pay more in property taxes to boot. Gah i'm mkaing this worse aren't I?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve flattened slabs with 36 grit , shims and a sled using my drum sander .

I suppose I could have used a bigger bit and router. My Festool trim router has dust collection that works pretty good in situations like this . I was holding the square with one hand and the router with the other. Bigger bit & router would mean clamping the square each time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just realized I should post an update after my previous posts regarding the hurricane. We had a few breezy days with a tiny bit of rain, but otherwise wouldn’t have known there was a hurricane causing massive damage in the Carolinas. There was a bit of tidal flooding around Norfolk, but I didn’t hear of anything excessive. 

There were some tornadoes in the Richmond VA area yesterday, related to Florence. This pic (screenshot from a news article) was taken less than a mile from my mom’s house, at the University of Richmond. 

7314606A-A7D4-42EC-AF88-163F4D4ECE0D.thumb.jpeg.1fa607f7da7e854e1bcd5c5f3a6afea3.jpeg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Route a groove, shift the square 5/8 & route a groove... repeat a disgusting amount of times !

And hopefully after that you didn't find the needed shave was closer to 3/16 ths! 

Actually a pretty clever save.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Just realized I should post an update after my previous posts regarding the hurricane. We had a few breezy days with a tiny bit of rain, but otherwise wouldn’t have known there was a hurricane causing massive damage in the Carolinas. There was a bit of tidal flooding around Norfolk, but I didn’t hear of anything excessive. 

There were some tornadoes in the Richmond VA area yesterday, related to Florence. This pic (screenshot from a news article) was taken less than a mile from my mom’s house, at the University of Richmond. 

7314606A-A7D4-42EC-AF88-163F4D4ECE0D.thumb.jpeg.1fa607f7da7e854e1bcd5c5f3a6afea3.jpeg

 

That looks like a big one!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

That looks like a big one!  

As far as I know that one didn’t do too much damage, I don’t think it stayed on the ground for long. There were several in the Richmond area, and another one did kill one person and injure another when a building collapsed, and caused much more property damage. 

My mom ended up hiding in the basement for several hours, waiting for things to calm down. Another friend in the Richmond area has a dentists office in a building that used to be a bank. They all took cover in the vault, which seems like it would be a pretty good storm shelter!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More or less finished rehabilitating a router table that I acquired (re-drilling inserts, fixing electrical, fastening the top to the cabinet, making a fence, two different attempts at mobilizing it.)  Finished up a few mm higher than my cabinet saw, so I'm scratching my head how best to tweak the saw mobile frame (shims) or the router table.

By the way, acknowledgments to lots of you for ideas I've stolen, including Tom's (and many other's) dust collection through the fence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Apparently I spent the last 3 hours selecting the parts locations out of a piece of tiger maple without making one cut.  I just looked up and it was after lunchtime!?!

406290609_TigerMaple(1).jpg.8b9dd156563c46f90f8b28301f379b62.jpg

 

In my defense, my shop time has been minimal lately.  I may have stood at the bench with a piece of chalk in my hand just gazing out into space and soaking in the shop-atmosphere for half of that time :D

Yeah but you don't want to make a mistake with that beautiful piece of maple right there...take all the time you need :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I realized my ceiling fan was caked in dust and the light kit was loose, filthy and wobbly.  Vacuumed the whole thing , took off the light kit, washed the glass & brass then went to reassemble the whole thing.  Figured supporting the fixture while attaching the wire nuts would be difficult. 

IMG_1517.thumb.JPG.dce93a63562ce0cebd40c9b5b65c9c89.JPG

Little giant ladder + Amazon box = perfect support !

For anyone with sharp eyes that's the 1984 Little Giant. It's a tad heavy but still solid as a rock. Hunter ceiling fan is a similar vintage , buy once, cry once , 34 years later both are still going strong. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/29/2018 at 5:15 PM, gee-dub said:

Apparently I spent the last 3 hours selecting the parts locations out of a piece of tiger maple without making one cut.  I just looked up and it was after lunchtime!?!

406290609_TigerMaple(1).jpg.8b9dd156563c46f90f8b28301f379b62.jpg

1375629773_TigerMaple(2).jpg.372a5f7a7a65cf70030f42a44999b551.jpg

In my defense, my shop time has been minimal lately.  I may have stood at the bench with a piece of chalk in my hand just gazing out into space and soaking in the shop-atmosphere for half of that time :D

Nothing like the smell of a wood shop to make you wander your mind.  Ah, the possibilities....................

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Little giant ladder + Amazon box = perfect support !

For anyone with sharp eyes that's the 1984 Little Giant. It's a tad heavy but still solid as a rock. Hunter ceiling fan is a similar vintage , buy once, cry once , 34 years later both are still going strong.  

I have a ladder and a box that look just like that. Guess they haven't changed the ladders in a long time. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2018 at 10:09 PM, wdwerker said:

I realized my ceiling fan was caked in dust and the light kit was loose, filthy and wobbly.  Vacuumed the whole thing , took off the light kit, washed the glass & brass then went to reassemble the whole thing.  Figured supporting the fixture while attaching the wire nuts would be difficult. 

IMG_1517.thumb.JPG.dce93a63562ce0cebd40c9b5b65c9c89.JPG

Little giant ladder + Amazon box = perfect support !

For anyone with sharp eyes that's the 1984 Little Giant. It's a tad heavy but still solid as a rock. Hunter ceiling fan is a similar vintage , buy once, cry once , 34 years later both are still going strong. 

And the fan was still balanced when re-assembled?!  Nice work.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share