What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

So far, I slept two hours, drove a flight crew from the air force base to the airport at 04:30, 180 miles round trip (I’m a limo driver in my retirement, they are heading to Iquaiuit to fly back a repaired aircraft), attended one fire call for paramedic lift assist, slept two hours, second fire call for a chimney fire, now hope to get in some shop time.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Farback said:

So far, I slept two hours, drove a flight crew from the air force base to the airport at 04:30, 180 miles round trip (I’m a limo driver in my retirement, they are heading to Iquaiuit to fly back a repaired aircraft), attended one fire call for paramedic lift assist, slept two hours, second fire call for a chimney fire, now hope to get in some shop time.

Was that fire because of someone burning wood and never cleaning the chimney? 

3 hours ago, mat60 said:

Was that fire because of someone burning wood and never cleaning the chimney? 

Yeah, two wood burning appliances, we took five full buckets of creosote out after controlling the fire and chaining the slag off the chimney. They were burning paper for some reason. That will stay aflame as it goes high and ignite creosote high up where the chimney cools and it condenses out. We often get these on Christmas day when people burn wrapping paper. Windy and cold here today. Tough on the roof guys. I drive the big red trucks, so not as demanding.

• Like 1

There is a good argument for a single stage. I'd love to have both but the space for that is a bit more than i can swing. For snow up to 6" it's faster for me to push the snow to the edge and use the blower to get it in the yard. Though it depends on how heavy the snow is. The last few snowfalls have been nice and light and close together. So moving it to the side works great. The exercise doesn't hurt either.

Single vs 2 stage are certainly different beasts & each has it's strengths. I just have a 24' x 28ish' driveway & a sidewalk & we don't typically get huge snowfalls so a single stage is fine for me. And the single stage, with it's rubber paddles, will clean right down to bare concrete.

• Like 1

I have an Ariens 24" two-stage... The single stage just doesn't work if the snow is wet, and can't handle the chunks of ice that get pushed up by the snowplow at the end of the driveway.   A couple of my neighbors had single stage, but I was always having to go over to help, so they finally bought new ones a few years back.

I have a two stage Husky and been using it regularly the past few days. And it's still snowing. The heated grips didn't quite cut it when it was 7F and windy on Saturday. 

Finished a bed project and started another project... A desk/reloading bench. 

I'm studying string inlays and am fascinated. May try to incorporate some into the desk/bench drawers or part of the hutch for it. Got some blades from LV and will make my own holders. 

23 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

I have a two stage Husky and been using it regularly the past few days. And it's still snowing. The heated grips didn't quite cut it when it was 7F and windy on Saturday. 

Finished a bed project and started another project... A desk/reloading bench. 

I'm studying string inlays and am fascinated. May try to incorporate some into the desk/bench drawers or part of the hutch for it. Got some blades from LV and will make my own holders. 

I’ve been wanting to try string inlay for a while, if you would please post what you learn along the journey

Back in Colonial days, in Philadelphia, there was a fine if your chimney caught on fire.  They were supposed to be cleaned every month.  If it had been cleaned, the Sweep was charged the fine.  If it hadn't been cleaned that month, the homeowner paid the fine.  Fires were serious business in a city full of wooden shingled roofs, and chimney sweeps stayed busy.

I'm glad I have no idea what you guys are talking about with differences in snow blowers.

• Like 1

We don't usually get a lot of snow at once, but yesterday was one day I wish I had a snow blower.  We got 12" on Sunday/Sunday night, and the wind pushed it up to 2 feet deep in my driveway.  I spent the morning shoveling, helping my wife get her car out of the driveway, and helping my roommate get his car out.  It wasn't much fun.

We were predicted to get another 3-7" last night, but it didn't happen, fortunately.  Now it is supposed to snow for the next 3 days.

At least it is in the 20's and low 30's.