What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 2/19/2019 at 7:25 PM, K Cooper said:

Byrdie, I officially became 70 on 1/29. It’s a rude awakening knowing that I’m closer to 80 than 60:huh:. I’ve submitted my resignation 4 times to the new boss since selling my company 3 years ago and he refused to accept any of them. What does your brother do to stay occupied? 

Too funny Coop.  You have the same birthday as my twin brother and you're the same age as my sister.

Up until last October my brother worked weekends at a hardware store.  The store was sold and planned to close so he quit.  Was good timing because he ended up spending a month with my Dad while my stepmom when through some tests and medical difficulties.  He likes to hunt (has made a couple trips to your state for white tail), especially birds, he plays golf, he has a small craft business, he spends time with his two sons and, on the wood working side, he's a turner.  Makes duck and goose calls, though he's done a little less of that lately.  His wife still has a few years before she can retire so she's got him doing some fixing on the house so it'll be ready for her when she's done as well.

5 hours ago, RichardA said:

I'm going to have to spend some time pondering that statement. Does that mean you're older or younger than your twin brother? And why does that confuse me?:wacko:

I was wondering if the birth was around midnight and he and brother were actually born on different days.

Any reason for table saw over a bandsaw? I still have yet to determine if the thinner kerf but needed cleanup is a benefit from the band saw over the table saw. I started cutting lamination's for some outdoor rocking chairs and only lost1/2" to waste on 27 strips. mine were 1/8" so considerably thinner. I haven't ran the strips through the sander for cleanup.

I needed abut 30 feet of feed/cut/outfeed line to process these planks. My current bandsaw is a Ridgid, and I don't trust the constancy of width even with the fence I built for it. I ran these planks through the jointer, and even then I had to be vigilant with horizontal pressure using the table saw's fence to keep a consistent 3/16" cut. I believe the table saw's blade depth on the long axis of it's exposed surface gives a better cut than the band saw's blade.

Yeah i have a good 12' of in feed for my band saw and probably 25 feet of outfeed. Cut quality is not the point of the bandsaw the kerf of .04 is less than half that of a table saw blade so there is less material loss after cleanup. I guess table saw or band saw i'd still run through a drum sander after to ensure constant thickness. A decent bandsaw is necessary so if that isn't in the cards table saw is the best bet.

• Like 1

I don't know about that particular Lunar Rover, but the one still sitting on the Moon had its critical welding done by a dear, departed friend of mine.  He not only did the welding, but invented ways to weld the extremely lightweight metal parts.  They wanted him to stay on, but after almost everyone else was given pink slips at the last Apollo launch, he walked too.

He spent another career teaching welding, and machine work. He also served several terms as the President of the National Welders Association (I may not have that spelling exactly right).

I was building a house at the lake right next to one he was building for himself, never having built one before.  We became great friends.  He's the one that left me all his tools.

• Like 2

The Kansas Cosmosphere (sp) and Space Center also has a huge collection of space artifacts in Hutchinson, Kansas. We also have an SR71 Blackbird on indoor display.

And Hutchison is home to Space Works that does restoration for a lot of other museums around the country. and did all the work for the movie "Apollo 13" as well as others.

• Like 1

Looking inside that capsule, it looks like it was put together by a bunch of hot-rodders in someone's garage, and all you have for controls is a bunch of toggle switches from a NAPA auto parts store.  Then go upstairs, and stick your head up in a Saturn V rocket engine.

Then look up hanging from the ceiling over your head, when you're looking in that capsule, there is the X1, X15 #1, and the Spirit of St. Louis-not replicas.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

That is at the Space & Rocket Center, Huntsville, Alabama. 

1 hour ago, Rapid Roger said:

The Kansas Cosmosphere (sp) and Space Center also has a huge collection of space artifacts in Hutchinson, Kansas.

I'm putting these on my to do list!

4 hours ago, Chet said:

My wife jokes about sending me back two weeks earlier then her because she knows how much time I will spend in there compared to her.

Brilliant idea!  I'll share that with my wife.

I probably mentioned this before (it's a toss up whether I'd rather talk about wood or space), but the only remaining lunar module is on display in Long Island.  Worth the side trip if your in that hood:

https://www.cradleofaviation.org/history/exhibits/exhibit-galleries/exploring_space/grumman_lunar_module_lm-13.html

The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago also has a good space exhibit, again worth the side trip.  They have the Apollo 8 CM and other artifacts (and then there's the U-505).  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chet said:

Smithsonian Air and Space museum is on my bucket list.  My wife jokes about sending me back two weeks earlier then her because she knows how much time I will spend in there compared to her.:P

I visited there about 40 years ago. It was awesome then, surely it is still awesome now.

IIRC, they have the original Wright Bros. Flyer on display, not a replica.

While you are there, be sure to check out Natural History, too. I remember seeing the Hope diamond (about the size of a goose egg), and a stuffed blue whale hanging from the ceiling.

Everything there is awesome.  The American History Museum is equally as awesome as any of the others.   The Mall is two miles long, from the Capital, to the Washington Monument.  It doesn't look that big on TV, but it is.  Almost the whole perimeter of the Mall is lined with those Museums.  Visit the Capital, and you will always see it in a different light than only seeing it on TV.  A two week visit would be a short one there.  We're fortunate that we have some best friends that live not far away from there, and it's a little less than 4 hours away.

• Like 1

All Americans should visit the capital if at all possible.  

Reading the Gettysburg Address at the Lincoln Memorial truly imparted a weight and magnitude that I could feel  

All of the war memorials are emotional, but the endless names on the Vietnam Memorial and then seeing all those white crosses at Arlington Cemetery made me tear up.   

• Like 2