What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

I used Brusso hinges for the first time today. The $35 price tag made me hesitate and consider going with a cheaper option ($20, not the $3 ones), but looking at them in the package I could tell that they were on a completely different quality level. 

4487CD0B-CAC8-437E-9A78-9EBD96C07968.thumb.jpeg.5c9ef69043fb5c0a1f33fef08ffffa41.jpeg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Nice work John, the price is steep but they make quality stuff that will last for a very long time

Exactly they do have sales once in a while and I try to stock up when they do. The quality is very noticeable even to folks who don't do wood working.

Been plugging away at my firewood stash, I think i'm in good shape. Mostly oak, alot from the white oak I milled this winter. Some cherry and walnut mixed in. Walnut is also the limbs from the walnut I milled with the oak. I try to season oak 2 years before putting in the woodstove. All split with the "machine" you see in the second picture.

803973115_firewood1.jpg.d6e9acf1432319ff130ec31c00a6b85e.jpg

480690448_firewood2.jpg.e5f059a481b3f622588e3fa8c8b819b4.jpg

806171513_firewood4.jpg.190cf0f608244259a111f7c85fcf491e.jpg

Half of this pile is already seasoned for a year plus, still picking away at that, but not for long here in the Mid-atlantic.

2038259766_firewood3.jpg.67d0e96f4503b0abc0da3d95e1bd4ef2.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bmac said:

To me there is something incredibly satisfying about splitting and stacking firewood.

I was never so glad to move out of my parent's house, never to split wood again. Dad still prefers to heat with wood, but at 80, he slowed down a little on harvesting and splitting his own. He and Mom bought a place with 50+ acres of woodland after we kids were gone, just so he didn't have to hunt down trees to cut.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Hell, you live in a metropolis where breathing is taxed .

Coincidentally we now have a shelter in place as there is a big refinery fire going on, close by. What we won’t do to see that you guys all have gas to propel your BMW’s . :D

21 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Does a possum doo doo in the woods?

Not around here as we have possums as well! 

• Like 2

Started an end table project as a honey-do. Using bricklaid alder for the aprons and I’ll veneer that with the sapele. I’m happy I had full-scale drawings as trying to figure out where to cut the brick stack was a booger. I ended up figuring the index points on the drawing, put a thick piece of paper under it and drive the divider tips through both, then transferred all the arcs and important dimensions to the white paper. Cut that out and used it as a template for the band saw. Maybe someone has a simpler method but this worked lol

1E71FCAB-6883-4C83-822E-F87CE4CA3362.jpeg

B25BBFA1-D399-46DC-9006-B390DF77AF45.jpeg

9F17B108-72C2-447E-8598-A6FB0E05AB03.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 9:07 AM, Ronn W said:

Not yet.  Those are on my list.  Nice skills to have at you diposal.

I have a thread on my adventures. Just finished my first stringing project, more of a test than anything I’ll put in a piece of furniture. That said, the wood just happens to be the right size and material for a stretcher on a desk I want to build :) 

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Coincidentally we now have a shelter in place as there is a big refinery fire going on, close by. What we won’t do to see that you guys all have gas to propel your BMW’s . :D

Sounds a bit scary, but just for the record our BMW is electric. :)

• Like 1