new2woodwrk

What did you do today?

Recommended Posts

Dave, after just now seeing Kev’s latest video, Q & A, I’m not sure that I Would choose “Problamitic” as my next ts. I will definately look into Kev’s problems and into the models available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not privy to the entirety of the problems Kev has had but i can say i have 2 powermatic tools and they have been great. No company is flawless, i've heard of issues from nearly every machinery company out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ross, I see you have started picking on the Houston Boy too. :lol: If he spent that must money we will hear him squealing in Tennessee. 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it rains so hard that the critters start coming into your shop, that ain’t good!

9551D061-2B13-4BB2-A47F-0451E15234C5.thumb.jpeg.42eba229d126ba0c0c30d4bdb13f2e39.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was eating tails and sucking heads last weekend in Louisiana. Now the little fellers are coming back to haunt me. 4” of rain in the last 5 hours with 4 more days of it so I’m sure at some point, I’ll be sleeping with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sitting in a hotel room waiting for the people of Albuquerque to wake up, two hour difference in time zones to someone who gets up at 4 am eastern time sucks.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Larry Moore said:

Sitting in a hotel room waiting for the people of Albuquerque to wake up, two hour difference in time zones to someone who gets up at 4 am eastern time sucks.

Well.......Good ole country boy that gets up before the rooster does. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's cool Tom. Always amazed at what you're up to.

My fine woodworking was seriously advanced over the last couple of days building a new shelf for our bathroom vanity to replace the one my daughter broke using it as a step stool. Between that, a screw in my tire and having to replace our 2.5 year old dishwasher's logic board, I'm ready for a fun project.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope your daughter wasn't injured!

I don't think I've ever had a set of tires on the truck that I didn't have to plug at least one, and the culprits don't come from our jobs.   I keep a plugging kit in every vehicle, and a 12v compressor.  19 times out of 20, we will plug the tire on the vehicle, and pump it back up without having to change a tire.

I like the closed eye type of plugging tool.  Put rubber cement on the plug for lubricant, and extra insurance, push it all the way in, pull it out just enough to get the tool back out, and cut the doubled over plug to free the tool.  I've never had such a plug that didn't outlast the tire.  I never got on good with the plugging tools with the open end.

A lot of tire places won't plug a tire, for several liability reasons, but ask any of the mechanics working there if they have a plugging kit in their toolbox.  I've never had one to fail, even having to double up the plugs, once in a while.

edited to add:  a little dish detergent in water will find the hole best, but we keep spray bottles of Windex in vehicles, and that works on the road, it just doesn't blow bubbles as big as dish detergent.  If I need to plug one at home, I use a big cup from the kitchen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's what the framing looked like for that little corner, hip roof display. 

The rafters are 3x's, so I used the Milwaukee 10-1/4" circular saw.  That red case is the metal box that the 10-1/4 saw came in.   That's the only original, metal toolbox that I think I'm still using.  That saw is too big to fit in anything else, and I don't want it just bumping around.

To cut the main hip rafter, you just change the "12" in the roof pitch to 17.  These shingles came off the roof of this house, which is a 4-1/2 over 12.

The purlins I just eyeballed, and cut with a handsaw, rather than worrying about what the angle was.

Of course, normally the lower ends of the rafters would have a birdsmouth, or some other more complicated cut, but I didn't worry about that for this little roof.  The two pieces with the half-lap are two different thicknesses, so that's the reason those rafters stick out some.  The ends sticking out were just cut with a handsaw by eye too.

 

IMG_1629.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom, I've worked at the steel mill for 28 years now. Employees use the same entrance road as scrap trucks. I keep a plug kit on hand at all times. In 28 years, I've never "worn out" a set of tires. They always leaking from one of the several plugs before the tread wears naturally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, that brings back memories. I’ve used the plug kit many a times. Back in the days there was a fire extinguisher that held a chemical called Carbon tetrachloride. We found this liquid good for cleaning clutch plates and brake shoes to give them a little more life. Times back then were tight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Man, that brings back memories. I’ve used the plug kit many a times. Back in the days there was a fire extinguisher that held a chemical called Carbon tetrachloride. We found this liquid good for cleaning clutch plates and brake shoes to give them a little more life. Times back then were tight. 

I remember that stuff from elementary school science class. Jeez, how old does that make me?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Tom, I've worked at the steel mill for 28 years now. Employees use the same entrance road as scrap trucks. I keep a plug kit on hand at all times. In 28 years, I've never "worn out" a set of tires. They always leaking from one of the several plugs before the tread wears naturally.

Did you use rubber cement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tom King said:

Did you use rubber cement?

Rubber cement or "Shoe Goo". Both seem to work well, but eventually a hole will just be too much to plug. I'll usually see a very slow leak develop, such that if I forget to top off the air every few days, the tread wears unevenly, and quickly. Once the tread is down to half its original thickness or so, it takes less and less to puncture.

I typically buy 70k mile tires, and get maybe 50k before at least one is shot. Of course, some junk on the road makes a hole that just can't be repaired.

Windshields are another problem, following those trucks. A few years ago, I had to replace the windshield in my pickup 3 times in 6 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Rubber cement or "Shoe Goo". 

Same thing. Each company that sells “rubber cement” uses a different formula. Shoe Goo is one of them, along with Barge, Best-Test, Elmer’s, etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Rubber cement or "Shoe Goo". Both seem to work well, but eventually a hole will just be too much to plug. I'll usually see a very slow leak develop, such that if I forget to top off the air every few days, the tread wears unevenly, and quickly. Once the tread is down to half its original thickness or so, it takes less and less to puncture.

I typically buy 70k mile tires, and get maybe 50k before at least one is shot. Of course, some junk on the road makes a hole that just can't be repaired.

Windshields are another problem, following those trucks. A few years ago, I had to replace the windshield in my pickup 3 times in 6 months.

I found quite a few nails when i worked at landfills. They were also terrible places for it. Luckly they were nail holes so they were easy to plug. I have probably 5 or 6 in my little trailer and it holds strong yet. Butit seems maybe 250 miles of road a year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tom King said:

I hope your daughter wasn't injured!

I don't think I've ever had a set of tires on the truck that I didn't have to plug at least one, and the culprits don't come from our jobs.   I keep a plugging kit in every vehicle, and a 12v compressor.  19 times out of 20, we will plug the tire on the vehicle, and pump it back up without having to change a tire.

I like the closed eye type of plugging tool.  Put rubber cement on the plug for lubricant, and extra insurance, push it all the way in, pull it out just enough to get the tool back out, and cut the doubled over plug to free the tool.  I've never had such a plug that didn't outlast the tire.  I never got on good with the plugging tools with the open end.

A lot of tire places won't plug a tire, for several liability reasons, but ask any of the mechanics working there if they have a plugging kit in their toolbox.  I've never had one to fail, even having to double up the plugs, once in a while.

edited to add:  a little dish detergent in water will find the hole best, but we keep spray bottles of Windex in vehicles, and that works on the road, it just doesn't blow bubbles as big as dish detergent.  If I need to plug one at home, I use a big cup from the kitchen.

She only fell about 6" so she was fine. My mom was watching her and didn't even realize she fell.

I almost ended up plugging it myself, I have a plug kit but was dressed for work and I was dropping off both kids at daycare. I think my wife had an interview or doctor's appointment so I didn't have much of a choice. First place told me they couldn't patch it, second did it for $25 and 10 minutes. This car displays the tire pressure for each tire so should be easy to see if it starts leaking.

Now our bathroom faucet cartridge needs to be replaced. At least Home Depot is 2.5 miles away and I'll get to hang out with my daughter while she 'helps' me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.