What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Bench looks great Jim!

I never understood why people say that their bench will get beaten up.  My little Lervad, that I bought in 1977, has the finish suffering from age, but the only marks on it, that I remember, are some little burn marks made when our Son used it to work on a paintball gun.  Even my assembly bench doesn't have any marks on it from woodworking.

I never tore up any toys when I was little though, so I guess taking care of things just comes naturally, for some odd reason...... or maybe that's ocd reason.

• Like 2

Maybe the only thing I did today that was a little bit unusual:   The ladies that look after a museum house that I built shutters for a couple of years ago had said that it was a little hard to get the wing nuts on the storm safety bars.  I ran across a set of adjustable dies this weekend, when moving some of the small tools here that I was left by a machinist friend that passed some years back.  

The shutters are so big, and in a path that multiple hurricanes have passed over, so even shut, the normal latches don't secure them against severe winds enough to feel completely comfortable with.  There are 1/4-20 galvanized carriage bolts in the middle of the stiles, White Oak "bars" that fit over those bolts inside, and stainless steel wingnuts to secure.  It was a little hard to start the wingnuts over the galvanizing, but I never thought about it.  The ladies are in their 70's, and 80's, so it was a little difficult for them, but I have all the rest of that window, and shutter system easy to operate.

I took the bolts out, and ran down the diameter of the threads on the ends by tightening up the adjustable die.  The round dies have a little slotted screw that is easy to adjust to change the final diameter.    Anyone can install the storm bars now.

IMG_1646.JPG

• Like 2

No problem finding the nuts. They were in bins near the carriage bolts.  I was afraid that if I used nuts, that someone, sometime in the future, would use a wrench on them.  The shutters are Cypress, and I hope they'll last hundreds of years under the big roof overhangs.   Someone would surely pull the carriage bolts into, and even through the Cypress with a wrench.

edited to add:   I had run a regular hex die on them to start with, to be able to use the wing nuts at all.  They went on like regular nuts do, and I thought that was okay.  Anyway, now they work really easily.  They start easily, and one little finger flip, and they spin all the way in.  I'm sure as decades pass, and they develop a little rust on the cut threads, they still should work okay.

I made a follower for my bandsaw based on the Dec '18 FWW article.

20190609_121034.thumb.jpg.627e4a511d369886281ea4ef3b627d07.jpg

20190609_121026.thumb.jpg.0c4b123af8082b961a1802a7b5cdf884.jpg

The cool thing is I was able to make it in about an hour from bits and pieces I just have laying around because I never throw anything out.  My hoarding ways are vindicated!

Now I have to make the template so I have something to follow.

It's for cutting a curved pattern.  You fix the wood you want to cut onto a template, then move the template along the follower and the blade cuts the wood according to the template pattern.  It serves the same function as the bearing on a router bit.  

Oh and as for the magazine, look in the bathroom.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, my brain can't understand how that follower works.

Finally got some time in the shop. Had to take Friday off to do it. I'm making the lathe stand from FixThisBuildThat and I was able to get the carcass made and all the drawer parts cut except the bottoms. My 4 year old daughter came in and helped drill some pocket holes before she decided she wanted to build something so I stopped to help her.

Hopefully I'll be able to wrap it up by the end of the week and keep the momentum going.