the kitchen island

jimmykx250

Ok so ive got the top pretty close to done and still havent pulled the trigger on buying the legs. Still trying to find a local turner to do it for me. Anyway im not sure how im going to mount the legs yet. The top is 8/4 walnut strips ripped to 2" width and edge glued to create the butcher block top look. Around the perimeter im doing 4" wide 8/4" stock to make the table look thicker. The 5" square legs will but against the 2 1/4" +/- reveal in the corners and because im dong this 4" edge treatment i dont think stretchers will look right. Could i just run a 1" deep pocket for the leg top to rest in and then lag bolt in both directions thru the leg and into the skirt or reveal? These legs need to be removeable in order to get this pig in and out of the house! The wife does not want stretchers at the bottoms of the legs and I think 4 independent legs gives a cleaner look. Ant thoughts or opinions?

That sounds like quite a substantial top, and as such I think you would need a top rail to avoid any racking issues. Is there anyway to disguise these rails under the apron that goes around the top? Do you have a picture/drawing of what you propose, a picture is worth a thousand words after all.

Jimmy,

I think what you might be looking for is a corner bracket, Woodcraft and Rockler have a couple linked below:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2001069/Table-Leg-Corner-Braces.aspx

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21578&rrt=1

Also table legs.com and Osbourne have some.

I think you are in IL if around the NW suburbs I might be able to help you with the turning. PM me and we can discuss that further if interested.

Keith

Well here is my attempt at a sketch to further detail the connection of the post in the corners. Im sure it wont explain and cover everything but i think it gets the point across. The top view is looking at one corner along the breadboard end showing the 1/2" deep recess for the post to sit in and the bottom view clarifys the connection further. Im more worried about the legs

getting kicked than i am worried about the weight of the table itself.

table legs.pdf