Dewalt DW735 Dust Collection

Tommy Hall

Hey Tommy and welcome to the forum. i have the 735 also and i use the Dust Deputy cyclone on top of a 30 gallon plastic trash can. i cut a piece of plywood to the size of the can top and hold it on there with spring clamps, not the best system but i have to break it down after every use to store it, i used self stick weatherstrip between the can and plywood, also look into grounding the system because of the huge amount of static that is generated. 

I took an old sheet and folded it and stitched the opposite side. Then I stitched one of the remaining openings almost closed and sewed a "sleeve" into it to fit my 4" hose. A hose clamp keeps it secure. The fourth side I left open and took a 1x1 and made a couple of rolls around it and hold it in place with two spring clamps. When it needs emptying, unroll the 1x1 and dump it into the trash bag.

Thanks Dave from Iowa, did not realize I could buy the cyclone without the kit for $50.

FYI, talked my shop into buying a 735 and then they put a spiral cutter in it, it's quieter and the cut is amazing, but still the long snipe.  I have used sacrificial piece but still not happy with the snipe on thin stock.

Thanks for the input.  

Tommy Hall

FWIW, I have used my 735 with only the planer's blower motor, and it doesn't really keep up with the chips well enough to avoid those little indents rom chips getting smashed between the top of the board and the rollers. This is not the end of the world, just making note of it for anyone that hasn't experienced this themselves, because it sucks if you aren't aware of this until you're applying finish.  

It's a shame that DeWalt no longer offers the hose/barrel cover accessory for the 735. I have one of them and use it whenever using my 735. All of my planing is done outside of my small shop and I have a plastic 55 or 60 gallon barrel that I use with it. The only problem that I've ever had with it is when the draw string around the base of the cover igets loose and the cover sometimes has blown off of the barrel. Black & Decker makes a very similar looking hose and barrel cover for a leaf vacuum that they sell and I've wondered if it could be used in place of the discontinued DeWalt accessory, but haven't had the chance to see one so that I could make a comparison, but it sure looks like the same thing.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-Leaf-Collection-System-Attachment-for-All-Corded-Electric-Handheld-Stanley-B-D-2-in-1-Leaf-Blower-Vacuums-BV-006L/202045620

It might be worth looking for one of these to see if it will connect to the 735. If it does, please post your success, since many 735 users are looking for a solution.

I have my 735 planer mounted to a miter saw/planer stand like this one.   https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-Rolling-Universal-Miter-Saw-Stand/50030592?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA_ONLY-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-SosHandHeldPowerTools-_-50030592:DEWALT&CAWELAID=&kpid=50030592&CAGPSPN=pla&k_clickID=d6166740-99c8-40c9-9ff3-c7b9cd2ece82&gclid=CjwKCAiAhfzSBRBTEiwAN-ysWJ2hM-R91rrZgTBVhmz_n-OygN0WRyCvIFwWuoRmtQcn8CIBZ0S5IRoC22IQAvD_BwE     I had to make a plywood adapter piece to mount the planer on my stand because the mounting rails on the stand are spaced for a miter saw and the mounting points of the 735 are wider apart, but I can now store my 735 sitting still attached to this stand with the stand up on end and in the corner of my shop, taking up very little floor space. When I need to use it, I can easily wheel it outside, like moving a hand truck, then set the handle down on the driveway and then lift the stand into one of two heights where it latches, making it very easy to use the planer. I have the in and out feed tables on my 735 and can use them as well as the roller supports on the stand which extend out and up to support the longer work very well. A gas spring in the stand reduces the effort of lifting the planer into the working position and folding it back down. At 75 I can no longer carry my 735 if I don't keep it on this stand, but using the stand lets me handle and use the planer without anyone helping me.

Charley 

• 4 years later...
On 1/16/2018 at 8:33 AM, Chestnut said:

I swore i saw someone just using the cloth back from a dust collector on the tail end of the 735.

Like this

except you could use some 4" hose so it's not in the way as much. 2.5" hose will work but 4 will allow the planer to collect better.

This was the exact setup I used for several years until my bag snagged on a rough edge and ripped. Now I connect it to my mobile DC