They surprised me

collinb

Not wild about the one track thing, but, FWIW, my first attempt at squaring my fence on my crosscut sled- just using a precision square up against the blade, got me damn near perfect. I did the 5 cut method afterward to see how much I'd need to adjust it, and I think I was out by something like 0.0015" over 24"...  certainly close enough for me, and I didn't think I would be likely to improve it significantly with an adjustment.

I use the adjustable width metal tracks to make my specialty sleds. Some 2 track, some just one.  Being able to adjust any wiggle out works great for me. I can't even remember what brand they are. Bought 6 pieces. I steal them off the least used sled to make a new one. It's not that hard to put them back & re tweak.

One track sleds are fine. Sometimes with two track sleds they can bind due to the tracks in the cast iron being machined slightly out of parallel. Then when your shop made sled runners expand, due to seasonal variations, or themselves have been attached slightly misaligned you get bind. So you end up taking a plane to one of the runners to relieve the bind. When the season changes you end up with slop.

So make your runners out of quartersawn stock and only fit one. 

• Like 1

Another vote here for single track sleds. I've tried it both ways, and double runners are far more likely to bind. Plus, one runner lets you change positions of the sled to make 90* cuts from one track and 45* cuts from the other. In a small shop, multiple sleds eat up a lot of space, so multiple functions from one is very helpful.