End checking

pd711

This is the top to a desk I'm building for my son. I was staining it earlier and noticed a small check at one end. The top will have bread board ends and the check does not go through the end tenon nor  through to the bottom. Its only in the top third of thickness of the piece.

The top only has stain on it right now, no finish. Should I attempt to repair the check? If so, how? or just leave it alone?

In the second pic, the check is the dark line in the middle right above the darker grain.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

IMG_1214.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

Mask off the stained area and fill w epoxy. Wipe flush before it sets and remove masking while it's all wet. Don't use fast drying 5 minute type epoxy.  I would chase it down into the crack with a toothpick or Xacto knife. Lacquer thinner cleans up. Gloves are smart. Have clean rags or paper towels handy too ! 

Have the breadboards been fitted and sanded already ? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Mask off the stained area and fill w epoxy. Wipe flush before it sets and remove masking while it's all wet. Don't use fast drying 5 minute type epoxy.  I would chase it down into the crack with a toothpick or Xacto knife. Lacquer thinner cleans up. Gloves are smart. Have clean rags or paper towels handy too !

I was thinking epoxy if I did anything. Thanks Steve.

11 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Have the breadboards been fitted and sanded already ? 

Yes they have.

23 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

The fix now will be a lot easier than in the future. How to fix if. I'd do clear epoxy or possible a bowtie inlay. I have never done a bowtie so i can't really advise on those.

I was thinking a bow tie as a last resort. Thanks Drew.