Sliding door joints

danbell78

I am working on a sliding 'barn' door for our laundry room.  Basic design is a simple frame, 1.5 thick x 4 wide oak, and a 1/2 inch plywood MDO panel for the middle.  Panel will be painted for a chalkboard.  Question is the joints for the frame.  Was thinking good old mortise and tenon, but then tonight thought maybe a couple of 10x50 dominoes might do the trick.  I have the little domino.  Do you think those would work, since I can glue the plywood panel in for strength too?  Don't want to be lazy but seems to me the dominoes might work and be so much quicker.

Thanks

I would stack 4- 8 mm dominos  . That wou d give you 7 mm separation between 2 - 8mm dominoes side by side. And yes glue the 1/2" plywood panel as well. Barn doors don't get that much stress.  Make sure to allow for the door to clear the baseboard and door casing.

For an interior door that will see very little abuse, i wouldn't think twice about using dominoes. Save the time and use it!!

i did a double door gate for our new fence this summer. One gate was made with huge M&T joints and the other was made with 10mm dominoes. I doubt years from now I'll be able to tell which is which. 

So I messed that one up.... When cutting the groove into the sides for the panel I cut the full length, essentially taking out the material that the dominoes would have gone into.  So back to plan A of good old mortise and tenon joints.  

Actually was impressed with the fit of the joints I was able to do.  Should be plenty strong now with 2in long by 2in wide tenons.

Since I started the topic here is an update.  I got the door put together last night.  Glue up didn't go as smoothly as the dry fit, but was able to get it squared up and clamped.  The joints turned out pretty good, and not as difficult to do as I was fearing.  

IMG_20180122_215258646.jpg

IMG_20180122_215303684.jpg

IMG_20180122_215306568.jpg

IMG_20180122_222420176.jpg

• 3 weeks later...