Not a real slider.

Llama

10 hours ago, Llama said:

Used it a bunch today. Love this thing!

No plans on selling my tracksaw though :) 

Now imagine the wonders of a true slider:P. I want to use my machine for awhile before commenting on it, but i recently did some sheet stock work a few weeks ago. It blew my freaking mind how fast and perfect my work was. I cant imagine making cabinets for a living and then buying a slider. I assume you just experienced the same wonder.

How is it truing up the stroke on these bolt-ons? It is one thing to have the cross cut fence square to the blade, but if your stroke is wonky then that doesnt count for much. Calibrating the sliding table and carriage is quite the experience, let me tell you. Id rather do 15 DT ways jointers instead of one slider. 

I might spend a few hours to the better part of the day fine tuning my Excalibur every year or 2. Once you get the sliding rail  (outer one) parallel to the saw it stays there unless someone really whacks an end hard. The fence on the sliding table used to take up to an hour or more before I got my Woodpeckers framing square. Now it's 15 min or less.

I just took a sheet of MDF with a known straight edge. Put that on the fence, then got it close by eye, and moved the fence adjustment until I got a square cut. 

I'll order the big WP square, or something similar to get it 100% perfect. I bet I'm 99.9% there right now though... 

26 minutes ago, Llama said:

I just took a sheet of MDF with a known straight edge. Put that on the fence, then got it close by eye, and moved the fence adjustment until I got a square cut. 

I'll order the big WP square, or something similar to get it 100% perfect. I bet I'm 99.9% there right now though... 

Yeah, but that only squares the cross cut fence in relation to the blade at that specific position. When you move the slider 2'+ one way or the other, it might be vastly different. I imagine calibrating these tables are similar, but you start by getting the stroke parallel to the blade(technically you want like .002" toe out), then you square the cross cut fence to the blade. On the KF700, you first start by leveling the sliding table to the saw top, then work on the parallelism of the sliding carriage, then align the outrigger to be planar with the full stroke of the slider, finally you square the crosscut fence. Steve is spot on that it is 8 hours of punching yourself in the crotch. 

WP big 26" framing square is a real treat for this work.

4 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Yeah, but that only squares the cross cut fence in relation to the blade at that specific position.

Right, but a square cut over a 4' piece of MDF is going to be pretty darn close. 

Total stroke is 50" or so, so a 48" piece being square is great in my book.