Sign in to follow this  
Coyote Jim

Coffee Container...thing.

34 minutes ago, Tmize said:

Once you catch the hand plane fever it's on then next thing you know you have 40 of the damn things setup to whatever you could come across. 

I have the fever. It's all consuming.

21 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I'd say that's pretty darn impressive seeing as you are new at this and the amount of tools you have. Very nice work . Keep at it !

Thank you! I really appreciate it. I find myself more focusing on all the tools that I DON'T have as apposed to the ones I do have. I should probably change my mindset on that though. First world problems and all that.

21 minutes ago, Coyote Jim said:

I find myself more focusing on all the tools that I DON'T have as apposed to the ones I do have

This will never never go away, Jim. It's called the Woodworkers disease LOL.

I'm fairly well equipped but I'm always thinking of the next tool that I "need"

• Like 1

Yep I keep a open wish list at all the suppliers website. An as soon as I come to the point in a project I need it bam straight to the phone a order right there no hacing to look around. 

Very good work. Had I just seen the final box with no explanation I would not assume you are a beginner. A faster way to thin the wood is to rip it on edge on the table saw a little thicker than required and bring it the rest of the way with your plane and sanding. If you have a 10" saw the max cut is 3". That means you can do this up to 6". On occasion I would finish the rest with a hand saw if I needed a little wider. Depending on the wood and how much needs to be cut, I will do it in 2 or 3 stages. Do not try this if you do not currently have the confidence. It can be dangerous. 

I make a lot of frame and panel construction. I like the panels to be figured and resawn for the book match effect. 

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

I like it. hand planes are a great addition to the shop, there are a couple on my desired list as well. First on the list is a new better #4 smoothing plane.

• Like 1

Great project with great results, and I like your coffee setup. Now go and buy a Vetrano 2B Evo espresso machine and get cranking on the quality brew!

I want to see more from you, because (a) your sense of humor is like mine, and (b) you have about as much home shop as I do. Well, more, as you have a table saw. Otherwise my gear looks about like yours. :)

What's your next project?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ClassAct said:

Great project with great results, and I like your coffee setup. Now go and buy a Vetrano 2B Evo espresso machine and get cranking on the quality brew!

I want to see more from you, because (a) your sense of humor is like mine, and (b) you have about as much home shop as I do. Well, more, as you have a table saw. Otherwise my gear looks about like yours. :)

What's your next project?

Thanks for the kind words ClassAct! Not sure if you caught my previous post about how I accidentally got into woodworking or not. I think it is on page two by now. If you like this one then take a look at that one but be warned, it is MUCH longer than this one. If you read it then brew some of that quality brew of yours to keep you company.

I actually have two other projects "in the can" as it were. Will be posting those soon. First is getting started on my tool wall and the second is a headphone stand I did completely(ish) with hand tools only.

I keep a.....journal? of sorts so those projects are already written they have just never been posted anywhere. But to answer your specific question about what my next project is. I am going to make one of these for my daughter. 

5a67842c5bd17_stuffedanimalstorage1(1).thumb.jpg.70720b5c40b539cf49d10ea598028327.jpg

She is 6 and her stuffed animal situation has gotten a bit out of hand. Not going to make it just like the one in the pic but it should be similar.

Also thank all of you guys/gals here for your ideas and comments. Such a great wealth of resources and, just as important, encouragement. 

• Like 2

Impressive especially considering the tools and your experience ? Add your signature and date & maybe a note that it's an early effort.

I think I would keep coffee beans in a bag in the container rather than beans against the wood. Should keep the beans fresher.

• Like 1

Looks good. I enjoyed your write-up again.

You might be interested in Wood Magazines Idea Shop 6. They build out a shop on $150 every 2 weeks for a year. Might not be everything you need or want, but nice to see how someone else would start from scratch.

• Like 1

That is pretty darn cool. Well done. The only thing I would have done differently would have been to put rabets on both sides of two opposing boards, usually the face being seen the most and the back, to hide the ends of the boards. It might also have made life easier. 

• Like 1

Love this journal! Good to see someone turn out such nice projects with so few tools.

One tip about that "hard" red oak - the stuff carried by the big box places is kiln dried to the point of being heat treated, IMO. Air dried oak is waaaaayyyy easier to work.

Interesting info. I'm just glad I haven't had to buy any hardwood at a big box in my entire lifetime ! Especially since " big box" home improvement centers originated in my home town.

Please look for legitimate hardwood suppliers in your area before you buy at a home center ! Would you consider buying designer goods at Walmart ?

• Like 1