Torsion top box — mdf or plywood?

bushwacked

Since I still can’t get in the shop my mind is running with new things to add to the list for 2018 .... 

so my question is. If I build one should I build all mdf or plywood ... or the inner grid construction mdf and top/bot plywood? 

Thoughts? 

Im planning something around a 4x8 assembly type table maybe a 3x6 ... still debating on size. 

I think the draw is that MDF is less expensive and potentially flatter. My current table is made from MDF and if i made another it'd be MDF as well. The added weight is also nice to keep the table a bit more stable. Makes it a lot more difficult to move though.

I don't know how much space you have but personally i'd probably go 3 by X instead of 4. I have short arms so reaching across 4 feet gets difficult at times.

• Like 1

I think the answer to your question depends on the quality of ply. If you are buying super cheap ply with knots and gaps you are better off going completely mdf because it provides an extremely homogeneous material. If you are going with the good ply you can only buy at a hardwood seller, than I would say that beats out mdf. For my money I rather go all mdf and coat the top with something to repel water and spend my money on projects that live in my house and not in my shop. Your mileage may vary though /shrug.

• Like 1

My almost 4 foot square assembly table is made from 1/2” mdf faced with hardboard. I put oak trim around the edges I think the oak is 3/4” ish thick as they were old floor boards that I put through the planer to clean up. So an arbitrary thickness.

I made mine almost 3 years ago and it is still as flat as the day I made it. Fairly lightweight (for mdf) and I put handles on it (not shown in the photo) to aid a two man lift when it is occasionally moved. It’s not that heavy but too bulky for a one man lift. 3/4 mdf would be a lot heavier for the same 48” square size.

IMG_0087.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TerryMcK said:

My almost 4 foot square assembly table is made from 1/2” mdf faced with hardboard. I put oak trim around the edges I think the oak is 3/4” ish thick as they were old floor board that I put through the planer to clean up. So an arbitrary thickness.

I made mine almost 3 years ago and it is still as flat as the day I made it. Fairly lightweight (for mdf) and I put handles on it (not shown in the photo) to aid a two man lift when it is occasionally moved. It’s not that heavy but too bulky for a one man lift. 3/4 mdf would be a lot heavier for the same 48” square size.

That is an interesting base how does that work out?

Very stable and lightweight modular construction. Made from a single sheet of far eastern cheapo 3/4” ply. I did a write up about it on the forums sometime ago. I think it was named something like a “modular saw horse” but i use the two horses as a support structure under the torsion box table and leave the crossmembers out (the three long boards in this pic)  It will take my full weight without moving at all. Immensely strong!

but here is a pic 

1-IMG_1108.JPG

• Like 2

Very stable and lightweight modular construction. Made from a single sheet of far eastern cheapo 3/4” ply. I did a write up about it on the forums sometime ago. I think it was named something like a “modular saw horse” but i use the two horses as a support structure under the torsion box table and leave the crossmembers out (the three long boards in this pic)  It will take my full weight without moving at all. Immensely strong!

but here is a pic 

1-IMG_1108.JPG

Here is the journal entry

• Thanks 1