Door gap creep, soliciting opinions

Brendon_t

why not just throw on some adjustable hinges like the Blum and be done with it? I saw that you said the outside of the doors align with the edges of the cabinet and that would've been a cool design but most overlay cabinet doors don't go all the way to the edge of the cabinet so it wouldn't look out of place at all. Just my opinion but I think any of your other options at this point will look like an after thought and that looks like the gap is only around 1/4" so that would only mean moving the doors in less than 1/8" each and would look totally normal. I also agree with what another member said that once you get that hung on the wall and some weight in it you're going to have be very careful not to have some racking so without adjustable hinges you're gap and flush edges would be off anyways so that would probably drive you crazy. If you're shop isn't climate controlled you can expect some movement on the doors too so I'm just thinking that flush edge of the door and cabinet won't be flush for long so might as well make your life easier and have it not be flush to begin with. It's a nice cabinet especially in a shop so no need to over complicate it

This idea of gluing and clamping a walnut strip between the doors and then ripping it down the middle makes sense to me.  In order to hide the glue line, you might want to consider routing a bead (see link below) down the edge of the styles on both sides of each door.  If you want to extend the bead to the end of the drawer front, that may be another consideration.

.http://www.rockler.com/search/go?isort=score&lgkey=http%3a%2f%2fwww.rockler.com%2ffreud-corner-beading-bit&method=and&p=R&restrict=site%3anormal&rk=4&rsc=IgouvsNQXAvOcqOt&ts=custom&uid=674297908&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.rockler.com%2ffreud-corner-beading-bit&view=grid&w=BEADING BITS

Good luck

The beading bit is a great idea to hide the seam, but I would use the smallest one possible.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/rtr_router_bit_freud_bits_traditional_bead.htm 

they have a 1/8 radius bead

If you don't have a beading bit or want to wait on one you might be able to make a scratch stock out of a card scraper with a round file like the ones used to sharpen chainsaws. Then you could do it old school ! 

32 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

If you don't have a beading bit or want to wait on one you might be able to make a scratch stock out of a card scraper with a round file like the ones used to sharpen chainsaws. Then you could do it old school ! 

Or the head of a screw. :) 

Cup hinges need a 35 mm dia hole 12 mm deep (1/2" ) and the baseplate typically uses 1/2" or 5/8 screws.  So case sides around 5/8 or better and 5/8 or 11/16 door thickness would work. 

They do make "no drill " concealed hinges but I haven't used them in years so find the exact specs before you consider using them.

I like @gee-dub 's idea. Glue a strip of dark wood, like wenge or ebony, down the inside AND outside edges of each door and continue down the sides of the drawer fronts. Leave the strip on the inside of each door proud by enough to form a pull.

I realize this is starting to get a little crazy for a shop cabinet, but it seems like a pleasing way to recover from the mistake.

Ok, I am not just trolling and do not want to pick any fights. My concern is with the flat sawn knotty wide rails and stiles as another woodworker recently pointed me to consider in design. There is a good chance you are chasing your tail and that movement will be problematic. 

On 1/28/2018 at 9:49 PM, Llama said:

Projects like this make good fires.

Best to move on, and make it better next time bud. Only so much you can do, and all the options will look like an afterthought.  

Exactly what I was thinking.  The anguish is forgotten when it's gone up in smoke.   I'd save the panels, and remake the stiles, and rails.

15 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

Ok, I am not just trolling and do not want to pick any fights. My concern is with the flat sawn knotty wide rails and stiles as another woodworker recently pointed me to consider in design. There is a good chance you are chasing your tail and that movement will be problematic. 

Yeah, the problem is, you're right. I've already had to shim the hinges once thinking they weren't perfect when initially set. Nope, bottom corner has a gap again. 

That sucks.

Thanks @gee-dub. Unfortunately, the Brain trust above is correct in calling out a concern with the walnut chosen for the rails and styles. It's creepy and creepin.  At this point, I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and rebuild the doors, again. 

I've got some lighter colors QS walnut on the rack I think would be nice boring stable material for the door frames. 

Thanks to all for their input on possible fixed.  The take away  for me is to be very sure the stock for door frames are boring and dry. One or the other, don't cut it.

8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Is this some of your home milled stock?

I did mill the tree but at a buddies yard.

These are the last pieces of some pretty questionable left over sticks that weren't really suitable for the projects the rest of the tree has been used for. 

I knew it was going to be a crap shoot, if I could take the coal to at least a cool CZ, I'm good with that. I would probably have burned these pieces whole if the idea to resaw and bookmark the entire thing hadn't popped into my brain. 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:48 AM, gee-dub said:

57d1f2ceaf9da_MediaCabinet(110).jpg.350cc74d04bcbecd8200272ad6c2e4ef.jpg

Gee, Help me understand the construction of the sides. From the outside it is frame and panel and on the inside it appears to be ply and the top edge looks to be 3/4' or so thick. I almost don't want to ask this question as I'm sure it's obvious and I should know.

58 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

My guess is 1/4" ply inside to close up the recess where the back of the side panels are. 

I would have thought that the panels, as they look pretty thick from the outside, would be flush with the rails and stiles on the inside. And how are the shelves attached to the side, to the three stiles?  

I guess I just highjacked Brendon’s thread. Sorry bud, I owe you a shot or two. 

15 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Gee, Help me understand the construction of the sides. From the outside it is frame and panel and on the inside it appears to be ply and the top edge looks to be 3/4' or so thick. I almost don't want to ask this question as I'm sure it's obvious and I should know.

Threadjack - :P

There is a 1/2" BB ply filler panel on the inside of the equipment area on each end frame and panel assembly.  These are actually attached with a bit of silicone rubber cement to prevent rattling.  they are a sort of heat shield to protect he frame and panels while steering hot air out the vents in the back. 

58817fc4c52b3_MediaCabinet(66).jpg.20a9fc282129efc90aaceec6e9e86cb4.jpg

The offset of the frame and panels makes the 1/2" panels flush.  the middle shelf is cherry.  In the pic it is unfinished and appears very light.  More on this build here.

• Like 1