Door gap creep, soliciting opinions

Brendon_t

On 2/1/2018 at 5:25 AM, Chestnut said:

Is this some of your home milled stock?

I did mill the tree but at a buddies yard.

These are the last pieces of some pretty questionable left over sticks that weren't really suitable for the projects the rest of the tree has been used for. 

I knew it was going to be a crap shoot, if I could take the coal to at least a cool CZ, I'm good with that. I would probably have burned these pieces whole if the idea to resaw and bookmark the entire thing hadn't popped into my brain. 

Updated: I decided I was being silly in not wanting to remake the doors. I pulled one stick of super boring qs walnut off of the rack. It's different walnut than the rest but it needs done. Should have the panels back in frames by the end of the day.

Thanks for the advice to those that called out the stock selection for the doors. It was a bad call up front thinking they would stay flat with so much grain running out and knots

• Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 5:25 AM, Chestnut said:

Is this some of your home milled stock?

I did mill the tree but at a buddies yard.

These are the last pieces of some pretty questionable left over sticks that weren't really suitable for the projects the rest of the tree has been used for. 

I knew it was going to be a crap shoot, if I could take the coal to at least a cool CZ, I'm good with that. I would probably have burned these pieces whole if the idea to resaw and bookmark the entire thing hadn't popped into my brain. 

On 1/29/2018 at 12:48 AM, Brendon_t said:

I just wanted to throw this out into the land of fresh minds as I've been staring at the issue for a week now, and an still stuck on a way forward.

I've been working on this wall hanging cabinet for a while and while fitting the doors, somehow I screwed up. After many on and off cycles adjusting hinges, my gap is now massive and inconsistent.

There are a few fleeting options that have come and gone for a possible fix, that doesn't include a full door rebuild as I'm out of the maple, and mostly out of the two pieces of walnut I wanted this entire thing to come from.

I'd love to hear and ideas, because honestly. Looking at the current state of the fit, is frustrating and making me not like the project too much.

IMG_20180128_074537.jpg

IMG_20180128_074531.jpg

If this is for the workshop, then keep it as a reminder of what to do next time.

If this is for the home, then take the doors apart. There are too many issues. Firstly, there are the gaps. Secondly, the internal panels could be laid in a book matched manner, which would be more complementary. Thirdly, the frames are ill-matched with one another - you could re-use the vertical stretchers, but re-arrange them so that the grain is similar in the inside where two lie alongside one another. 

This is not only an exercise in building more accurately, but also in matching wood grain.

Regards from Perth

Derek