Planning for table

bbaude

Howdy folks,

My niece is in need of a table to somewhat match a set of chairs she already has.  She is in college and money is tight for her. I've attached a picture of the chairs.  I think the table will end up being relatively small because it would be for an apartment.  I'm working on sizes now.  I havent personally seen the chairs up close but looks like red oak to me.  I could benefit from your advice/commentary on things like:

• I'm contemplating two leaves should she get a bigger place or want to expand the table. I've read that it is typical for tables with leaves to have the grain for short-wise?
  • When doing leaves, any tricks or pointers (or urls or videos) to making sure stuff lines up ?  I havent seen this done, but i can imagine that people certainly have found techniques that work for them.
  • When the grain goes short-wise, that sure exposes a lot of end grain.  Are we cool with that? I dont veneer.
  • And I'm always interested in the wwyd (what would you do).

Thanks in advance folks!

IMG_0894.JPG

My dining table has leaves and the grain runs short wise. There is end grain showing, but just sand the end grain a couple of grits higher than the rest. I didn’t build this table and it has a fairly heavy duty chain drive making expanding and closing the table easier. The leaves store under the table when not in use.  I’d check and see if Rockler or Lee Valley sells the Hardware.  

There are a couple options you could use dowel centers to transfer the location and then use a product like shane posted. I've also used these align and lock things on a desk project with dominos and they were remarkably strong and effective.

If the question is how to get everything even with edges lining up perfectly. If it's possible i'd leave the top slightly oversized and trim it after it's all together with a track saw or something similar.