Welding in your woodshop

treesner

Would it be a bad idea to not weld/torch/grind in my small woodshop? My first hesitation is that I wouldn’t want to get a bunch of burn marks on my newly finished roubo bench (i know it’s a WORKbench) also maybe burn marks on other pieces of wood I have laying around. Possibly easy to start a fire with all the sawdust? Thoughts on this or should I just figure out an out door setup91799F18-B88E-427C-8C3B-CB6E9454FF75.thumb.jpeg.021ecfa8432b2a365c57ac31aa890658.jpeg

I have a good size shop and but Id worry about starting a fire welding and grinding so I'm stuck doing it outside.  It would make a mess also.    I sometimes get stuck fixing cars in my shop and don't like doing that in there either. Be best to do your welding outside when its nice out. 

5 hours ago, Tom King said:

Maybe TIG welding

With a gun to my head, TIG would be the only welding I'd try in that shop, but even then, I've caught things on fire with TIG. 

Way too much risk with a spark flying off somewhere and smoldering without you seeing it in that tight space.   (<- Generic welding comment, not Tig specific)

I don't, and never did. Whenever I needed to cut or weld metal it was done  outside my shop in the driveway. My #2 son is now a certified welder so I recently gave him my welders and metalworking tools. They're just across town in his shop now, so I do my cutting and welding in his shop now (think metal pole barn with no wood). His shop is much safer to do this in than even my driveway.

Charley

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CharleyL said:

I don't, and never did. Whenever I needed to cut or weld metal it was done  outside my shop in the driveway. My #2 son is now a certified welder so I recently gave him my welders and metalworking tools. They're just across town in his shop now, so I do my cutting and welding in his shop now (think metal pole barn with no wood). His shop is much safer to do this in than even my driveway.

Charley

Nice! 

I weld, grind, and use a torch in my shop all of the time (but it sounds like I am the exception). My shop is a 40x20 and has a full compliment of wood tools to build fine furniture and I  have enough space so that I can avoid welding on my wood workbench. I keep my metalworking to one corner of the shop (steel welding table, metal bandsaw, metal chopsaw, grinders, MIG & torch)

I keep a fire extinguisher in the shop and pay attention to keeping anything that is flammable out of the immediate area where I am doing metal work. The most important thing to watch is welding around any combustible or flammable chemicals. Wood is slow to burn which means you have time to deal with a fire before it gets out of hand. I always keep a bucket of water by my welding table and have never had a flare up that couldn't be addressed with a quick splash of water

That being said I don't think that you have enough space in the shop pictured unless you rearrange some things

• 3 years later...

I have started fires with metal grinding, even sharpening with my worksharp 3000. A spark landed in the little feathery pile of grinding swarf. No chance I would fire update the welder in my garage shop and I think it is bigger than yours. Too much dust. I have a garden hose standing by too.

• Like 2